1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Please Help! I Have No Idea

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by OpheliaChick, May 12, 2011.

1. OpheliaChick

OpheliaChick Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2009
    CT
    So yesterday I made a post concerning a hen that I thought might be egg bound. As I was soaking her belly in warm water and massaging it this morning I noticed something above her tail. Now I don't believe this is her oil gland, however, I am so paranoid at this point I don't know what to think. Here are some pictures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

She has "droopy tail" and is barely walking at this point but she does stand a little. She is eating, drinking, preening and bright eyed. I don't know what to do. She did poop this morning and it was the right consistency. I'm thinking the best think to do is just let her be with her flock. [​IMG] Any suggestions?

2. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    I do not know.I am sorry. [​IMG]. I will bump you up so someone with more experience can help you.

3. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

I've never seen an oil gland on a live bird, but that looks just exactly like the ones on my meaties last year, so that's my vote. The droopy tail, and standing upright sounds like egg bound. there should be lots of advice if you do a search! good luck!

4. TreeHugger

TreeHugger Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2008
    That looks like an oil gland to me. I have no experience with egg bound hens - good luck!

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Yes, that is the oil gland. If you suspect she is still eggbound, continue with the warm water soaks and belly massage. You can put a little olive oil inside her vent to help lube it to make it easier for her to lay the egg.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by