Please help! I HAVE to amputate my roo's toe! **Graphic pics**

I had to amputate the wing of one of my hens after it was broken by a dog...other damage as well but the wing was broken with bones sticking out...my vet would not touch her...I was advised to kill her...she was so brave and determined to live, fighting for her life against three large dogs. I could not bring myself to euthanize her...I cut through the first joint, used quick stop, anti bodied her, dressed her other wounds and placed her in intensive care with a very sweet young roo...she recovered very nicely and is giving me a large white egg every day...she is well and happy tho a bit lopsided...they are incredibly tough...good luck with your roo...
thumbsup.gif

btw...duck walk is formerly Lorrettawyandotte...not sure how that all happened...

Last edited:
I think that's a must amputate... sorry
hugs.gif

Edited...

After looking at it again, I think that you will do well amputating at the wound site. The tissue which is proximal to the body is very pink and looks healthy. Good luck!

Last edited:
I'm so afraid of him bleeding out...
sad.png
I dont have anything to cauterize it with...what do i use to get a knife red hot in the house? the oven? or would heating it outside in the fire work? UGH! poor rooie! I HATE the thought of this...
th.gif

Do you have a gas burner on your stove? Even an electric burner would work. Just place the knife flat side down on that.

A candle could also work, just prop the knife up so the blade is directly on top of the flame.

There's not much tissue to cut through, so I think it will be easier than you think.

Are you going to do it tonight, or wait until morning?

Quote:
Thanks so much! I have been trying so hard to save him..and he IS on antibiotic shots..so maybe that will help with infection? THis is one of those things where you struggle with your conscience...Do i inflict more pain by trying to save him? or cull him?..(which wont be a bowl of cherries for him either..i'm sure..)
he.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
I'm going to wait until tomorrow..i wrapped it tonight already and i dont want to stress him more than i have to. I have one of those glass top stoves..(good for nothing!)
hmm.png

Maybe i could use a candle though...UGH..what do i do if he starts to bleed out? just reheat the knife and press it on the wound again? and THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom