Please help! I HAVE to amputate my roo's toe! **Graphic pics**

Quote:
Thanks..i wish you were closer also!
lol.png

I just wish i had a pain med to give him..i dont want to use aspirin because of the blood thinning..

If he starts to bleed out, you have 3 choices

1) Reheat the knife, and try again
2) Have a rubber band handy to create a tourniquet
- When it scabs over, you can remove the tourniquet
3) Have some quickstop powder, or cornstarch ready like Threehorses mentioned

I don't know how good their circulation is in their foot, but it's unlikely that he would bleed enough through his toe to kill him. This is mainly because there are no major arteries that far down. Also, there's so little good tissue left there that the distal part of his toe has very little circulation anyway.

hugs.gif

Okay..thanks. That makes me feel alot better..alot better! You guys are awesome! Thanks again so much! We really want to save this little guy..hes a little shoelace biter
lol.png
but we're attached to him. So, thanks again so much for your help!
hugs.gif

If it just hanging on by a bit of flesh it should be pretty easy. Sounds horrible but unless you have a medical scalpel a sharp sterilized pair of scissors will do. Soak the foot in the mixture of betadine and water to kill the germs and them amputate. If it bleeds let it for a bit to 'rinse' the infection out. Use blood stop powder or gentle pressure with your hand and a material that is non stick so you don't pull out any clots. Cover with neosporin and bandage. Change bandage every day until it is healed. Keep him by himself so he can rest. DO NOT use betadine after this. Yes it kills germs but it also kills the new tissue that is trying to grow to heal the foot.

Back
Top Bottom