PLEASE help! I just don’t understand!

The Ranch Girl

Songster
Jun 27, 2022
Texas
My Coop
My Coop
We are in such a pickle! When we first bought our Guinea’s was about 2 years ago.
We got 16 of them, raised them up and then moved them into a coop. It wasn’t long before we fell in love with our noisy guard dogs and slightly annoyed😂
We had a blue heeler mom at the time and a Great Pyrenees pup almost a year old. Both acted somewhat fine with our chickens.
One day both of the out of the blue started killing them all!! So we chained the mom up, her and her pups were killing all the Guineas and the pyranesse probably just followed along. We put the Pyrenees in a pen.
We had to sell the blue heeler and her pups, we knew they got a taste of blood and wouldn’t stop now.
And if matters couldn’t get any worse our 2 miniature dachshunds started killing them!!!
No not the chickens but it had to be our Guinea’s.
Between the dogs and now coyotes, we were left with only one Guinea. She was a funny looking thing! We had caught our dachshund attacking her. We got her off and she had a dislocated hip. We were going to put her out of her misery but she healed soon and it was hilarious watching her hobble around! But we gave her a great life.
One day out of the blue a lone male Guinea just randomly appeared. He was a blessing in disguise! I have never in my life seen Such a loving pair before! He keeps chickens away so she can eat. He protected her from everything and would never leave her side. I’m almost in tears writing this. But I’ll get to why later. Soon we got eggs from her, we were weary about incubating them because of her injury we didn’t think he’d successfully breed her. So eggs after eggs there was no life. Till one day there was!! We were thrilled at being able to finally hatch some friends for them.
And they did hatch. So we put them into the brooder. The next day….GONE!
The next hatching batch we hatched disappeared too! We suspected it was our other LSGD so we were sad. But that loving pair never left each other’s side. After that it was going into winter and she stopped laying.
Why we kept thinking, why the Guinea’s and no chickens?
But that sweet pair just melted our hearts.
We just woke up this morning to find our LSGD killed her! And her puppies. I am absolutely FURIOUS and heartbroken. The male is nonstop calling for her. It makes me cry listening to him!
It there a trigger point in Guinea’s that makes dogs go after them?? At this point I’m so done!
The only hope we have left is the eggs we are incubating from her right now. But they are on day 8 and I see no life. Please give me something that I can do. I feel so sad.

We are in such a pickle! When we first bought our Guinea’s was about 2 years ago.
We got 16 of them, raised them up and then moved them into a coop. It wasn’t long before we fell in love with our noisy guard dogs and slightly annoyed😂
We had a blue heeler mom at the time and a Great Pyrenees pup almost a year old. Both acted somewhat fine with our chickens.
One day both of the out of the blue started killing them all!! So we chained the mom up, her and her pups were killing all the Guineas and the pyranesse probably just followed along. We put the Pyrenees in a pen.
We had to sell the blue heeler and her pups, we knew they got a taste of blood and wouldn’t stop now.
And if matters couldn’t get any worse our 2 miniature dachshunds started killing them!!!
Between the dogs and now coyotes, we were left with only one Guinea. She was a funny looking thing! We had caught our dachshund attacking her. We got her off and she had a dislocated hip. We were going to put her out of her misery but she healed soon and it was hilarious watching her hobble around! But we gave her a great life.
One day out of the blue a lone male Guinea just randomly appeared. He was a blessing in disguise! I have never in my life seen Such a loving pair before! He keeps chickens away so she can eat. He protected her from everything and would never leave her side. I’m almost in tears writing this. But I’ll get to why later. Soon we got eggs from her, we were weary about incubating them because of her injury we didn’t think he’d successfully breed her. So eggs after eggs there was no life. Till one day there was!! We were thrilled at being able to finally hatch some friends for them.
The next hatching batch we hatched disappeared too! We suspected it was our other LSGD so we were sad. But that loving pair never left each other’s side. After that it was going into winter and she stopped laying.
We just woke up this morning to find our LSGD killed her! And her puppies. I am absolutely FURIOUS and heartbroken. The male is nonstop calling for her. It makes me cry listening to him!
It there a trigger point in Guinea’s that makes dogs go after them?? At this point I’m so done!
The only hope we have left is the eggs we are incubating from her right now. But they are on day 8 and I see no life. Please give me something that I can do. I feel so sad.
STOP BUYING DOGS. other than that, I was thinking maybe that the call of the guinea sounds like natural prey, whereas chickens sound less edible?

STOP BUYING DOGS. other than that, I was thinking maybe that the call of the guinea sounds like natural prey, whereas chickens sound less edible?
We did stop, the two big LSGD we have live in the pasture. The miniatures dachshunds are in a pen, they get let out every morning and evening ( under supervision) and the one with her pups that just killed we’ve had for almost 2 years and she hasn’t touched them. She’s actually been really great with ALL of our fowl. She also has access to food all the time. So it’s not hunger. Also the call thing may be it. But the whole time we have had her their call has never triggered her.

Guineas are delicious. Once an animal gets a taste of guineas they want more.

My Treeing Walker who would catch song birds and release them unharmed caught one guinea that flew into her pen. There were only a few feathers left.

Day 8 is a little early to see development in guinea eggs. Give them another week.

Guineas are delicious. Once an animal gets a taste of guineas they want more.

My Treeing Walker who would catch song birds and release them unharmed caught one guinea that flew into her pen. There were only a few feathers left.

Day 8 is a little early to see development in guinea eggs. Give them another week.
Thank you, I am going to wait as long as possible with these Guinea eggs and take care of them as best as I can.

As for the dogs, I need to figure something out. Her pups are small enough to fit through the holes in the fence of our pasture and the mom escapes to easily.
I will figure something out, I need to calm down first. I’m so mad at her
We stuck them in a pen for now

Back
Top Bottom