Please help identify breed....

PeuAPeu

Chirping
7 Years
Mar 30, 2012
Alabama
I just bought 10 chicks yesterday, 5 different breeds. There is one set I cannot identify. I would appreciate any help you can provide in identification.

Its the one in the very back left and also the one in the upper right. The other two red ones I was told are Production Reds.

My black ones are Black Giants (the smallest ones), Barred Rocks (the medium with the whitish on the head) and Australorps (the very large ones). I have two of each. The large black one in this photo I am suspecting could possibly be a male as it seems there might be a comb forming on its head. If you think this may not be correct information for these, please let me know.

The two that you are unsure of the breed look like EEs to me. I'm assuming your Australorps are your oldest chicks. So, they are definitely your most developed. At this point, I don't see anything that looks like a roo on the one but give it a few more weeks and we should be able to help with the sexes of all of them

Thanks! They may be Amercaunas. I do remember that was one breed they had at the feed place. I was racking my brain last night trying to remember. I was like a kid in a candy store "Just give me two of everything!" :) I haven't had chickens since I was about 11 and I really wanted to have them again for pleasure as well as for eggs.

Feed stores are notorious for lying about having Ameraucanas (a rare and strictly maintained breed). You have Easter Eggers. (the willow colored legs and chipmunk cheeks are the giveaway). They're really good egg-layers, and may give you green or brown eggs, depending on the hatchery's breeding program.

They're adorable at this age, enjoy!

Thanks. I am new so any info is greatly appreciated. I want to know the breeds but not concerned about the breed as I like them all. I am going to enjoy them a great deal. :) I just want the eggs too and other than that, to enjoy just having them. Right now they are in my house with a heating lamp (I am using the red bulb). My current brooder is a playpen. I am incorporating the help of my retired father to help me build the coop. I have lots of wood and lumber scraps as well as some cabinets from a house that was torn down. I believe I can make a pretty good coop out of what I have on hand.

Back
Top Bottom