Please help identify chick

Willowbrook

Songster
11 Years
Dec 7, 2008
western PA
I am needing advice as to what the chick in the photo might be. My flock is free range and never penned and I have 5 of these chicks. Mom is a Black shoulder and dad could be a Black shoulder, India Blue or White.
While the chicks look like Blues to me from pictures that I've seen, they have white primary flight feathers and I don't know if that is found in the blue birds.
Any help anyone can offer, I am most grateful.
The chick pictures are two days of age.

Thanks!

PICT1442.jpg

PICT1439.jpg

PICT1443.jpg

Blue , split white and blackshoulder. white flight tell me the white is his father, unless the other males have white flights.

the 5 chicks could have different fathers

Thanks deerman.

Yes, they could have different fathers but all the chicks are identical.

Question about 'splits.' I raise parrots and splits can only be in male birds whereas females have to be the visual mutation or they do not carry a split. This is for sex-linked mutations.
Are peafowl the same? Will both male and females carry the split?

yes both sex. peafowl only the peach,cameo,and purple are sex link, plus the new color violete.

none of the patterns are sex link...blackshoulders is a pattern not a color........Oh and the blackshoulder male ,can't be the father or the chicks would be yellow. BS X BS = 100 % BS

Same for sex linked mutations. Purple, cameo, peach works the same way it does for SL lutino in parrots. So, female can only be purple, or not at all.. only males can be split purple. Same with lutino(parrots), only say, a male cockatiel can be split lutino.. cockatiel hens never are split lutino.

White(and black shoulder) is not sex linked, so both sexes can be split for it.

It's simply the difference between a sex linked *gene* and an autosomal gene(not sex linked).

can any one help me in finding out the sex of the peachick...?
male=indian blue
female=black shoulder

65183_peacock_002.jpg

Back
Top Bottom