Please help identify "mystery" breeds from MPC

JestersEye

Songster
14 Years
Aug 12, 2008
Mullica Twp., NJ
Okay, I'm finally at my wit's end regarding this order from My Pet Chicken. I had ordered three female Blue Andalusian chicks with no substitutions, and received the following three chicks in the mail in September.

14377_chicks.jpg

14377_black_back.jpg

14377_light_blue_front.jpg

14377_red_front.jpg

Of course, I could tell right off that they had botched the order because there is no way that the red chick could be an Andalusian; since they only come in black, splash, and blue (gray).

Early on, we were assuming that the red "mystery" chick might be an EE, but she doesn't have any puffy cheeks or anything to suggest that. I guess I won't know for sure unless she lays colored eggs. She has feathered in all black, btw. What breed(s) do you all think she looks like now?
idunno.gif

14377_pandora-16wks.jpg

16-week-old black pullet (started out as the red & blue/gray "mystery" chick shown above)

At the time, I was still confident that the other two chicks were the correct breed that I had ordered... but now I'm doubtful of that, as well.
sad.png
The two blue pullets have good coloring for Blue Andalusians, but they still appear almost entirely combless! Even Andalusian hens have relatively large combs and white earlobes (as shown in the comparison picture of three 12-week-old siblings), but the two from MPC are still quite drab-looking in the face. Do you think are still Andalusians? If not, then what breed(s) could they possibly be? They haven't started laying yet, so I can't confirm egg color as a breed trait.

14377_andalusians-12wks.jpg

12-week-old Andalusian siblings (two blue cockerals and a splash pullet)

14377_mpcs-16wks.jpg

16-week-old "mystery" MPC pullets (full body shot of black pullet is shown above)

14377_sapphire-16wks.jpg

14377_lapizuli-16wks.jpg

Full body shots of two blue pullets from MPC

I'm really frustrated with MPC for apparently getting my entire order wrong, and still not even knowing what they sent me!
barnie.gif

I'm not familiar with Blue Andalusians, but they are blue and black which you said the colors should be, and I do see white earlobes. Perhaps just poor quality specimens, which I would expect from a hatchery.
hu.gif

I wouldn't give up hope that they're Andalusians just because their combs haven't grown yet.... They're still young so they will probably blossom in a little while.
smile.png

It's surprising that the red chick came out all black....I red your posts about it back when you first got them.

So maybe it's just a black Andalusian? The "blue" color doesn't always breed true and it will produce some blacks I believe.

Back
Top Bottom