Please! HELP! Im in tears! Duck with lots of MAGGOTS!

Yeah it sounded like crunching beetles..you could LITERRLY not see the skin. he looked like live road kill! UPDATE!! We went to tractor supply and bought this spray made for all sorts of livestock, its meant to kill maggots and is safe on wounds..the spray comes out blue so you know where it is on the bird. This morning I have checked him and upon a s simple inspection I had yet to see any! This is working! Thank you once again for all of your help!

Still pretty new here so I like to read and learn more than I do talk, but here goes -

I have had great results with Dr. Naylors Blu-Kote - sounds similar to your spray - available at horse or farm supply stores. It is quite germicidal and has prevented infection of wounds in my birds, and my neighbors' , from growing worse once infected. It is dark violet and heavily staining, so wear junky clothes when applying as she'll fluff her feathers back after you apply it. Bottle comes with a dauber attached to the cap.

The intense purple quality comes from gentian violet, an old-school anti-infective remedy and one you will also remember from if you ever took microbiology, for its staining of slides as well as germicidal properties.

Layer it on there, do it every day, and follow all the good advice above. NEVER peroxide, squirt that saline hard. btw I am a nurse and this is what we do, pretty much, when we find maggots in us humans too, which I fear happens. (Though then we cant use horse and chicken remedies!) Keep the wound open to the air. Also keep us all posted.

best.

Not sure if you’re still on this forum anymore, but did your duck make it? I just found a lot of maggots on my duck and I have no idea how it happened.

Back
Top Bottom