Please! Help! I'm running out of time!

Little Miss

In the Brooder
7 Years
Aug 1, 2012
Virginia
My chicken is 4-5 weeks old and I only have a week and a half to get her better or at least noticably on her way to recovery. She's been having problems for about 2 weeks or so and she's not getting better. At first I tried treating her for splayed leg syndrome but that didn't work. Then I came here and was led to belive it was riboflavin deficiency so I've been giving her electrolites and chick starter feed for almost a week and it isn't working. I'm going on a trip at the end of the month and she will be put down if I can't fix her by then. Her legs will sometimes go one stretched in front and one stretched in back, and sometimes they will spread out like she's doing the splits. She can't walk at all, only flop around. Her toes curl a little bit sometimes too. I looked at her leg and one leg has trouble bending and movin around and the other leg seems pushed out at the top and it is limp and floppy. She still tries to use both of them but, like I said, she can't. I can't take her to the vet and I cn't spend a lot of money. I can get pictures if they are needed. Please please please please PLEASE I need to know what's wrong and a way to fix it.

try the vet i believe its the best chance you have and (I'm not a vet)
D.gif

It is urgent because she is going away and she can't afford a vet!........ Sorry I cannot help you but i hope someone comes along with a solution, it may just be your little chick is not meant to be?
sad.png

I had the same problem with one of my chicks. It is some disease they say is incurable. But I done alot of research and this is what I did. I went to walmart bought a bottle of St. Johns Wart pills 300mg/0.3% Hypericin. I broke apart the pill and disolved it in 5Tblsp of water and used a eye dropper and feed it to my chick. I used one eye dropper full twice daily for 10days and now she can walk again and is getting bigger each day. I named her Hope because people said "that bird has no hope, she is good as dead". But I would not give up on her. It was worth it. I hope this helps you. Let me know how it goes.

Here are some pictures. I have never heard of such a thing but I will gladly try the wart pills. Only a couple weeks left so I hope the pills work. And, yes I am only 15 so I don't have a lot of money for a vet treatment and my parents won't pay for it because they hate chickens and are not willing to pay a vet bill for one. If any one has more information it would be greatly appreciated! I'll let you know how things work out and if the wart pills work for her.

Might try giving her a drop of poly-vi-sol without iron daily. It's childrens vitamins you can buy almost anywhere.

If it is a riboflavin deficiency, you need to be giving her vitamins..not just chick starter and electrolytes. She needs poly vi sol, without iron, every day, .25mls.

I am hoping that it is a vitamin deficiency however, those pics speak a thousand words to me. Your chick shows the class Marek's pose. I wanted to cry when I saw it. You need to call your local government extension office and find a state lab that will do a necropsy for you. You can try the vitamin therapy..it can take up to two weeks to have an effect. If I were you, I would have her euthanized and a necropsy performed. You need to know if it is Marek's...for your sake and for the sake of your birds.

I"m so very sorry
hugs.gif

Here are some pictures. I have never heard of such a thing but I will gladly try the wart pills. Only a couple weeks left so I hope the pills work. And, yes I am only 15 so I don't have a lot of money for a vet treatment and my parents won't pay for it because they hate chickens and are not willing to pay a vet bill for one. If any one has more information it would be greatly appreciated! I'll let you know how things work out and if the wart pills work for her.

I hope the medicine suggested works for you. I wish I had a suggetion, but I don't, sweetie. I think you are very kindly to try to help your sick chick. It shows what a good heart you have for trying. Please, keep us informed of what you are doing and whether or not she is progressing? If it does work, your post may save the life of your chick and others with the same condition. I really, really hope this medicine works for you! Hang in there!

Sonja

If it is a riboflavin deficiency, you need to be giving her vitamins..not just chick starter and electrolytes. She needs poly vi sol, without iron, every day, .25mls.

I am hoping that it is a vitamin deficiency however, those pics speak a thousand words to me. Your chick shows the class Marek's pose. I wanted to cry when I saw it. You need to call your local government extension office and find a state lab that will do a necropsy for you. You can try the vitamin therapy..it can take up to two weeks to have an effect. If I were you, I would have her euthanized and a necropsy performed. You need to know if it is Marek's...for your sake and for the sake of your birds.

I"m so very sorry
hugs.gif

I agree. I hope it's a vitamin deficiency. But it does look like classic Marek's. Or some kind of nerve damage.
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom