Please help? is it a rooster?

kmchick

In the Brooder
Jul 19, 2016
Scotland
OK so unfortunately I can't attach a picture for some reason. But I think my hen may actually be a rooster.. she's still small but has a big comb and wattles that are very red. When I went to let them out this morning I heard her making a really loud crowing sound. She has only just stopped making the really cute tweeting noises that chicks make and started clucking, but is now crowing too. Is she actually a he?

If it turns out to be a rooster do I have to get rid of it? I don't have time to look after chicks but will it work if I just take the eggs away so the hen doesn't sit on them? Please help I'm clueless!

You didn't say how old it is or what breeds you have.
However, if it is crowing, 99% chance it is a rooster.
You don't have to get rid of it. A rooster in the flock is a good thing.
Just because there is a rooster doesn't mean a hen will become a setter. Some breeds never sit.
Eggs have to be at incubation temperature for a couple days before you would see any development. Daily egg collection should happen anyway.
If a hen were to go broody, you wouldn't have to do anything so time shouldn't be an issue. The hen does all the work of raising them.

OK thanks that's a big help. I don't know the breed or how old it is as I was given it about a month ago. But I would guess it's about 3/4 months old.

Back
Top Bottom