please help is my chick having a heat stroke

chickenmama109

Free Ranging
6 Years
Mar 5, 2017
texas
hi i have two one month old easter eggers and they have been in a broody in the garage and it was way too hot in there so i put the brooder outside and today it got really hot so i took them out too play with the flock a little and one of my easter eggers named princess fluffy but would not move she would just stand there panting so i took them both in side and give them so cold water is she having a heat stoke what can i do to help

She probably just got too hot, as long as you've got her cooled off she should be fine now. :)
Chicks aren't very good at regulating their own body temperature, so they can get too cold and too hot sometimes.
As they get bigger and you start taking them outside more, just make sure they have plenty of cold water and shade, for them and for the rest of your flock.
Best of luck!

it felt like it was 105 and they have been in there all day and they way there broodeer is it gives them shade but it also traps heat and the brooder is right in the sun untell later i did not relize it was so hot and i was gone the most of the day so i put them out side and she would not move but the other would and they have been like that for a couple of days i fill so bad for them i would always give them water and everything but did not really think of the heat is she going to be ok why i did not put her out with the flock sooner was i did not want them to hurt them and my broody hen and her chick were using the run to intergrate them will she be ok

How is she looking now? Did she drink? What temp is it where she is now?

If she will be ok ...... Only time can answer that.

Have you cooled her down with water on her skin?

Dont use cold water on the skin. If she is really having heat issues it can be to much of a shock. Use room temp water.
Under the wings is a goid place to sponge down.

she is ding good im not sure if she has drank water but i did put cold water under her wing and she is in the coldest room in the house

Be careful about giving anything that's overheated cold water. Tepid or cool water is okay, but too much cold when badly overheated can send them into shock - be it a bird, or a human.

One of the few times I've been carted off to the hospital was when I was having heat exhaustion, and someone thought they'd do me a favor by dumping ice water on me to cool me off. BAD.

Back
Top Bottom