Please HELP! Is this an external sac?

CelticKat

In the Brooder
Aug 7, 2018
This sweet baby just hatched from a broody hen. She is making noise and drinking but I don't know what to do about the sac.

Attachments

• 20210717_202429.jpg
    20210717_202429.jpg
    336.4 KB · Views: 30
That is the yolk sac, did she hatch early?
I would separate her from the others and keep it clean, hopefully it will absorb outside the egg.
We brought her inside and cleaned her up as much as we could. She is in an incubator right now (from previous hatchings) as our heat lamp doesn't have a bulb (we were not prepared for for chicks not staying with mama). My biggest fear now is if she heals up and survives the night, how long do we wait before putting her back with the rest of the chicks and the mama?

We brought her inside and cleaned her up as much as we could. She is in an incubator right now (from previous hatchings) as our heat lamp doesn't have a bulb (we were not prepared for for chicks not staying with mama). My biggest fear now is if she heals up and survives the night, how long do we wait before putting her back with the rest of the chicks and the mama?
Wait till she fully absorbs the yolk sac, and eats, drinks, and walks on her own. Hope everything goes well!

That is a tough question because it is all going to depend on the momma. Once she is healed my suggestion would be putting her underneath her when she is calm maybe even at night while she sleeps.

Ok! Please follow this!
B1F3BECB-38CA-4003-930E-12053298E82A.png

As for putting her back, as long as she is eating and drinking and moving around, you can reintroduce her to her momma. Do this at night.

Just wanted to thank y'all for the help and suggestions. We tied off the sac when it became obvious she wasn't going to avoid tripping all over it no matter what we did. As it happens, shortly after we did that, the sac separated completely without further help. We kept her in our incubator for the next 24hrs (Sunday) with occasional periods of time in a small box with food and water in our porch (95° outside temp). We reintroduced her to the mama's (of which there are 3!) on Monday afternoon and she merged with another new hatchling sitting under one hen. As of today (Tuesday- 4 days post hatching) she is fully integrated with the newer chicks and Mama!! Yay🐣🐣

Back
Top Bottom