PLEASE HELP!!! MAJOR CHICKEN PROBLEMS!!

jamieluzs4

Songster
7 Years
Jul 1, 2012
East Coast
Hi! I'm having reallly scary and bad chicken problems!! Okay, so i got two chicks together at just a few days old. It was my first time getting chickens. The cochin was a girl. The silkie could have been either girl or boy. They've grown up together, and i found out that the silkie was a boy. A few weeks later, out of NOWHERE, my silkie began being very aggressive!! He was starting to hurt my other chicken, who is very sweet and defenseless and would never peck even though she is twice the size, by pecking her head and grabbing it. He then began hurting me! Pecking me all the time i go in to feed them. I'm very nervous, so i actually recorded on my phone camera for an hour what they did, I watched it really quickly and he did peck her again for no reason once. I seperated the coop, but my cochin is very upset and they seem to be LOST without eachother. I hate what my silkie is doing ! PLEASE HELP!!! He seems like a whole new chicken! He comes at me with his wing out and walks sideways! Is he like, not being mean but very serious, mental or sick?? I am trying to get rid of him, but i have to get another chicken with my cochin!! PLEASE IM VERY USPET AND WOULD REALLLLY APPRECIATE SOME HELP!!!! I'm a first timer and have no clue what to do!!! P.S. they are both about 4 months old now. IS THIS NORMALL??? :'''(

p.s.s i do love my chickens a lot, and my friend who lives down the street had chickens and helped me care for them and i always treated them BOTH equally well! All i feed them is chicken feed, fresh grass, and water.

Hi! I'm having reallly scary and bad chicken problems!! Okay, so i got two chicks together at just a few days old. It was my first time getting chickens. The cochin was a girl. The silkie could have been either girl or boy. They've grown up together, and i found out that the silkie was a boy. A few weeks later, out of NOWHERE, my silkie began being very aggressive!! He was starting to hurt my other chicken, who is very sweet and defenseless and would never peck even though she is twice the size, by pecking her head and grabbing it. He then began hurting me! Pecking me all the time i go in to feed them. I'm very nervous, so i actually recorded on my phone camera for an hour what they did, I watched it really quickly and he did peck her again for no reason once. I seperated the coop, but my cochin is very upset and they seem to be LOST without eachother. I hate what my silkie is doing ! PLEASE HELP!!! He seems like a whole new chicken! He comes at me with his wing out and walks sideways! Is he like, not being mean but very serious, mental or sick?? I am trying to get rid of him, but i have to get another chicken with my cochin!! PLEASE IM VERY USPET AND WOULD REALLLLY APPRECIATE SOME HELP!!!! I'm a first timer and have no clue what to do!!! P.S. they are both about 4 months old now. IS THIS NORMALL??? :'''(

p.s.s i do love my chickens a lot, and my friend who lives down the street had chickens and helped me care for them and i always treated them BOTH equally well! All i feed them is chicken feed, fresh grass, and water.
He's needing to mate... must have reached sexual maturity... one hen is going to be way to small of an amount for him to be around...you'll have to seperate him until you can get him atleast 3-4 more hens... also, he might see you as something to mate with if he's confused... it's completely normal for him to grab your hen on the back of the head and "mount" her... if she fights him because she's not to egg laying age he will just become more persisitant...get some hens his size or find a home for him that has hens... if he continues to attack you after a couple of months you'll sadly need to dispose of him... this behavior is never acceptable from a rooster.

Good luck!

Nicole

He's needing to mate... must have reached sexual maturity... one hen is going to be way to small of an amount for him to be around...you'll have to seperate him until you can get him atleast 3-4 more hens... also, he might see you as something to mate with if he's confused... it's completely normal for him to grab your hen on the back of the head and "mount" her... if she fights him because she's not to egg laying age he will just become more persisitant...get some hens his size or find a home for him that has hens... if he continues to attack you after a couple of months you'll sadly need to dispose of him... this behavior is never acceptable from a rooster.

Good luck!

Nicole
Thanks so much Nicole!! I was so woriied! I told my mom and were going to get more hens from a local farm soon!! I'll definately have a better time sleeping knowing what you told me. It's nearing thanksgiving and my dad was getting quite mad .... :p

I'm sorry to hear about your problem. I had a similar situation with one of my roosters. He was the sweetest thing and then one day he lost his mind and started attacking me, the hens everyone. I ended up rehoming him. Hope some more hens will calm your boy down!

Greetings from Kansas and
welcome-byc.gif
! Great to have you here but sorry to hear about your aggressive rooster. I hope he gets it together and doesn't have to be rehomed. Best of luck to you!

I'm sorry to hear about your problem. I had a similar situation with one of my roosters. He was the sweetest thing and then one day he lost his mind and started attacking me, the hens everyone. I ended up rehoming him. Hope some more hens will calm your boy down!

Really? where did you rehome him?

Yes it is completely normal. He is showing typical teenage cockerel behavior. He's trying to mate, she's not ready yet. Sounds like she's a LF cochin? If so it will be several months before she starts laying. Bantams mature more quickly. When she matures she will be more receptive and things won't look so bad. Now more importantly the wing dropping towards you. He is challenging you and testing his boundaries. Do not tolerate it. You sound young, so see if you can have one of your parents help you with him, to get him to understand you are in charge. It may or may not work. If it doesn't then he will need to go.

Yes it is completely normal. He is showing typical teenage cockerel behavior. He's trying to mate, she's not ready yet. Sounds like she's a LF cochin? If so it will be several months before she starts laying. Bantams mature more quickly. When she matures she will be more receptive and things won't look so bad. Now more importantly the wing dropping towards you. He is challenging you and testing his boundaries. Do not tolerate it. You sound young, so see if you can have one of your parents help you with him, to get him to understand you are in charge. It may or may not work. If it doesn't then he will need to go.

How do you get him to stop trying to challenge us. By the way I'm her friend and he does it to both of us.

How do you get him to stop trying to challenge us. By the way I'm her friend and he does it to both of us.

You just act like the dominant rooster, like your in control. Some people catch them by grabbing their base tail and neck feathers, as a sign of dominance. And I think I have heard that you can also hold him for a while and not let him move, showing him that you are stronger. I hope these are true. :p
She will definitely have to get at LEAST 2 more hens, hopefully more. I hope these will work. :)

P.S. I do not have a rooster, so I am not speaking by experience.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom