Please Help Me!! Broody Hen On Eggs, With Mites.

lydiagirl99

Songster
5 Years
May 31, 2016
Michigan (By The Thumb)
Hi. I have a RSL Hen, Crumbs, that is currently sitting on 2 silkie eggs and 1 Cochin egg. Today is day 20 and I went out to check if there might be babies and I noticed some mites around the nest box. I immediately picked the hen up to check her and she to has them. Not a lot... just seems like they may have just found her. WHAT DO I DO ?? The babies are going to be hatching and I don't want mites all over them, irratating them :( And then I need to get them off momma hen, too...

I would treat Mama and the nesting box if at all possible. A mite overload on just hatched chicks could possibly kill them.
Does she come and go as she pleases - leaves nest for food/water to poo, etc. or is she in a separate area by herself?

I would dust her with poultry dust, if you can wait until she if off the nest try to work in some dust into the nest bedding as well.
This late in the game I don't think moving her completely would be a good idea, but if you can get them off her, that will help, then when the chicks hatch, possibly try to relocate.

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2013/03/scaly-leg-mites-in-chickens.html

Last edited:
I would treat Mama and the nesting box if at all possible. A mite overload on just hatched chicks could possibly kill them.
Does she come and go as she pleases - leaves nest for food/water to poo, etc. or is she in a separate area by herself?

I would dust her with poultry dust, if you can wait until she if off the nest try to work in some dust into the nest bedding as well.
This late in the game I don't think moving her completely would be a good idea, but if you can get them off her, that will help, then when the chicks hatch, possibly try to relocate.

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2013/03/scaly-leg-mites-in-chickens.html
The chicks just hatched a few hours ago. I've read that a little Apple Cider Vinegar helps get rid of them and I've learned from experienced spraying them with a bottle with soap and water in it kills them so I thought I'd let the babies get fluffed out and once momma takes them out I'll give them all ACV baths and them take out all of the nesting materials, spray soap and water all over it and then put in new nesting materials.

The chicks just hatched a few hours ago. I've read that a little Apple Cider Vinegar helps get rid of them and I've learned from experienced spraying them with a bottle with soap and water in it kills them so I thought I'd let the babies get fluffed out and once momma takes them out I'll give them all ACV baths and them take out all of the nesting materials, spray soap and water all over it and then put in new nesting materials.

That may just work!

Back
Top Bottom