PLEASE HELP ME-- CHICKS HATCHING NOW.....

ELVISMUSTANG

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jan 17, 2012
I HAVE A HOVABATOR 1602N. TODAY IS 21ST DAY, AND CHICKS ARE HATCHING. TEMP IS 99 AND HUMIDITY IS 67. DO I HAVE TO REMOVE THE RED VENT PLUGS OR DO I LEAVE IT IN? I'M AFRAID THAT HUMIDITY WILL DROP. ONLY 4 OUT OF 21 EGGS HAVE HATCHED SO FAR. DO THE CHICKS HAVE ENOUGH OXYGEN IF I DONT REMOVE THE VENT PLUGS??

Remove the plugs and keep an eye on humidity. I'm just one week behind you with the same incubator. In the past if humidity does down I use the vent holes to add more water. Good luck! What are you hatching?

BUFF ORPINGTON (THREE HATCHED OF 6 EGGS)
BLUE ORPINGTON (1 OF 3)
BLACK COPPER MARAN (0 OF 12 SO FAR)

FIRST ONE WAS THE BLUE AROUND 1:00
HOW LONG SHOULD I GIVE IT UNTIL I GIVE UP ON THE COPPERS?

HOW MANY PLUGS SHOULD I REMOVE?

Leave it alone, you don't need to remove anything, I been hatching for 8 yrs with both Styrofoam and cabinet. everything is great. my best advice don't touch anything.

should I give up on the coppers or do they generally take longer to hatch?

First off they are usually the last out and I've had them hatch on day 25. You don't give up on day 21. Chicks are like human babies. The show up when they're ready. Just don't bother them unless they are having trouble hatching and then, some say don't help. I do, but that's me.

i am not familiar with your incubator.
general guidelines-open vents up to give more fresh air for hatching chicks. also when vents open you tend to lose more humidity so you need to possibly increase your humidity. 45-50% for incubation 60% for hatching

Back
Top Bottom