Please help me figure this out

DanielleHurst

Hatching
Mar 17, 2018
So I am new to raising chickens. I started with 2 golden comets and then got some new chickens with my in laws. We are in quarantine with the new ones. Only one hen we got was laying eggs. The others should start soon we were told. There is two roosters and four hens together because they came together. Two hens and a rooster will go to my in laws flock once quarantine is over. They were never really free ranged. They will be here. Until the run is complete they have been in the coop for the most part. The one hen laying has given me 3 eggs so far. Good looking ones. This morning I go out to check and found what I think may be a lash egg. But I am not sure. What do I do? Is this very bad?

Welcome to BYC. Can you post a picture of the lash egg, and also one when you cut it in half? Lash eggs can be a sign of salpingitis or oviduct inflammation. It would be good to see it in case it may just be a malformed egg, and mot a lash egg.

So I am new to raising chickens. I started with 2 golden comets and then got some new chickens with my in laws. We are in quarantine with the new ones. Only one hen we got was laying eggs. The others should start soon we were told. There is two roosters and four hens together because they came together. Two hens and a rooster will go to my in laws flock once quarantine is over. They were never really free ranged. They will be here. Until the run is complete they have been in the coop for the most part. The one hen laying has given me 3 eggs so far. Good looking ones. This morning I go out to check and found what I think may be a lash egg. But I am not sure. What do I do? Is this very bad?
Welcome to BYC. Can you post a picture of the lash egg, and also one when you cut it in half? Lash eggs can be a sign of salpingitis or oviduct inflammation. It would be good to see it in case it may just be a malformed egg, and mot a lash egg.

Attachments

• IMG_5987.JPG
    IMG_5987.JPG
    760.2 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_5987.JPG
    IMG_5987.JPG
    760.2 KB · Views: 7
Yes that does look like a lash egg, unfortunately. Although antibiotics won’t cure this, you may want to give her some amoxicillin or some Baytril early to try and treat her for infection. You can Google “Baytril or enrofloxacin sources” to find Baytril online. Amoxicillin can be ordered from fish supply complanies, and is called Fish Mox. Dosage for chickens is 250 mg daily for 7 days. Give half a dose in the morning and half in the evening, 125 mg each dose. She may live quite some time with her condition, but hard to know for sure. Consult a vet locally if you need help with her treatment or medicines.

Yes that does look like a lash egg, unfortunately. Although antibiotics won’t cure this, you may want to give her some amoxicillin or some Baytril early to try and treat her for infection. You can Google “Baytril or enrofloxacin sources” to find Baytril online. Amoxicillin can be ordered from fish supply complanies, and is called Fish Mox. Dosage for chickens is 250 mg daily for 7 days. Give half a dose in the morning and half in the evening, 125 mg each dose. She may live quite some time with her condition, but hard to know for sure. Consult a vet locally if you need help with her treatment or medicines.

Back
Top Bottom