Please help me help my brahma’s foot

AidanOshields

In the Brooder
Aug 30, 2020
This guy is my alpha rooster of all my rooster he’s the biggest and strongest chicken I’ve ever had and sadly one day I can home from school with him having a bloody foot so I picked him up and took him to the shed to inspect and what I found was his scales/skin were gone you could pretty much see the muscle all the way to the ends of the toes. I showed my uncle and he said to give him his own cage put vetricin on it and give him electrolyte water but it’s not getting better he does walk around in his cage so I let out to walk around and now his other foot is bleeding and I don’t know what to do (in the pictures what’s on the ground under Meath his foot is vetricin not blood)

Attachments

• 7F781946-944D-4112-B1B3-DD8B7AFBEBEC.jpeg
    7F781946-944D-4112-B1B3-DD8B7AFBEBEC.jpeg
    465.8 KB · Views: 32
Sorry for the first blurry picture

Attachments

• F353507C-2691-41EE-9165-CD726992365C.jpeg
    F353507C-2691-41EE-9165-CD726992365C.jpeg
    539.2 KB · Views: 26
Also I should mention I let him outside once and the first thing he did was eat grass then fight my other big rooster (a Turken) and he won 😂 but his other foot started bleeding that time too so I brought him back inside

it almost looks like his toes are down to the bone. Is this correct? Some close up pictures may help. This case is very odd, I'm so sorry for your baby boy and I hope someone more educated can help!

This guy is my alpha rooster of all my rooster he’s the biggest and strongest chicken I’ve ever had and sadly one day I can home from school with him having a bloody foot so I picked him up and took him to the shed to inspect and what I found was his scales/skin were gone you could pretty much see the muscle all the way to the ends of the toes. I showed my uncle and he said to give him his own cage put vetricin on it and give him electrolyte water but it’s not getting better he does walk around in his cage so I let out to walk around and now his other foot is bleeding and I don’t know what to do (in the pictures what’s on the ground under Meath his foot is vetricin not blood)
Has it been super cold there in recent weeks? That looks like the right foot is completely dead, and the other the toes are dead towards the end. It looks like frostbite, with the right leg being very severe. It seems as though it's bleeding because the dead tissue is ripping off from him walking on his feet. He needs to be kept in the cage to prevent him from excessively walking and to prevent further damage, until the dead tissue falls off on it's own and completely heals. It looks like he will loose all of the right foot and the tips of the toes on the left foot.

Hopefully someone who knows more about treatment can help.

Has it been super cold there in recent weeks? That looks like the right foot is completely dead, and the other the toes are dead towards the end. It looks like frostbite, with the right leg being very severe. It seems as though it's bleeding because the dead tissue is ripping off from him walking on his feet. He needs to be kept in the cage to prevent him from excessively walking and to prevent further damage, until the dead tissue falls off on it's own and completely heals. It looks like he will loose all of the right foot and the tips of the toes on the left foot.

Hopefully someone who knows more about treatment can help.
Now that you mention it, it does look like frostbite. OP where are you located and what has the temp been at in your area?

If it’s frost bite I guess that would kind of make sense I’m in Texas and we just had that snow storm. But he’s been in the shed since before then wouldn’t my other chickens have it who stayed out side during the the whole thing? I also had chicks in there during the snow storm and they did just fine.

If it’s frost bite I guess that would kind of make sense I’m in Texas and we just had that snow storm. But he’s been in the shed since before then wouldn’t my other chickens have it who stayed out side during the the whole thing? I also had chicks in there during the snow storm and they did just fine.
It's possible that he may have gotten his feet wet some how, or he roosted in a way that left his feet exposed, or some other incident. I would recommend that you look at your other birds to be sure they are not affected as well, if you haven't already.

Back
Top Bottom