Please help me identify these chick

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Moonkssd, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Moonkssd

Moonkssd Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2011
    Marietta, Pa
    I have 3 I do not know what they are. They are all 8 weeks old
    Thank you for your help
    The first 2 pics are of a chick I got free with my order can you tell if its male or female?
    The second 2 pics are of a chick that is in with a bunch of white chicks I bought for meat birds at TSC I believe she is a hen I think I maybe keeping her just because I like her coloring. Wouldnt be upset if it was a roo though. ( Ive really gotten tangled up in chicken math this year)
    The 3rd and last 2 pic I believe is supposed to be and Americana hen
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    Your first looks like cochin (partridge?).
    2nd looks like a sex link roo,
    3rd I do not know.

Just guesses..

3. confusedturtle

confusedturtle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2011
    Virginia
    I may be completely wrong in this so don't take my guesses as definite (newbie here!), but pics 3-5 resemble my chicks. 3 looks like my Red sex link roo, 4 & 5 look kinda like my red sex link pullets or possibly a production red? Im sure someone will correct me if Iam wrong, and curious to see the other guesses since this is my first try at this. There could be a chance though that 3 is an Amberlink pullet or Tetra Amber pullet, I help out hope with mine that he was one of those breeds as well. Here is a pic of my red sex link roo & pullet
    [​IMG]

**edited** appologies, the white one with the brownish coloring looks like my red sex link roo, the last 2 pics look like my red sex link pullets.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2011
  4. gunnarmcc

gunnarmcc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2011
    SSF, CA
    Looks like maybe a partridge cochin, leghorn and NHR? but those are all rather uneducated guesses

5. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    I agree with the first one looking like a cochin, I have no idea about the second, the third looks like a sexlink pullet.

6. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    I'd say the first is a standard Partridge Cochin. If you got him for free, then he's almost definitely a roo. Hatcheries love to get rid of surplus roos by adding them as 'packing peanuts'.

Your second bird does not have a lot of comb development, I would say that it is either an Amberlink, or a Tetra Tint pullet.

The third is definitely a red/gold sex-link pullet (I love them, they're in my flock too).

Edited for clarity

7. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    1st-Definitely a Partridge Cochin, probably roo
    2nd-White Laced Red Cornish, pullet She has very little red in her, but I have some out here right now that are like that too. They have varying degrees of red in their feathering if you get them from hatchery stock. I am guessing you got these from McMurray
    3rd is a Red Star if they came from MM, but it is a Red Sex Link pullet if you didn't get them from MM.
    They are nice looking healthy birds.

Personally, I love Cornish, and the hatcherie Cornish I have had in the past are decent layers of a medium brown egg. They look kind of evil/dinosaur like in their face, but they aren't mean at all. Of course, roos will be roos if you get one with attitude. You get that with all breeds.

Good luck, they look nice.

Oops, saw you got them from TSC. I still stand by my previous input.

8. Moonkssd

Moonkssd Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2011
    Marietta, Pa
    That is a red star I forgot I had one of those. I cant believe I forgot that. ( I am glad my children are grown I might forget one of them now) There have been so many chicks coming and going this year lol. She is so friendly I really like her. The dominiques and the americanas are very wild they wont let me come near them well the dominique comes up just to peck at me. Not liking the dominique breed too much. I really appreciate all of the feedback on these birds. I have only been doing this a year.

9. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    First chick is a partridge Cochin roo based on red comb/wattles, feather growth, and coloration.
    Second looks like a red sex link roo.
    Third looks like a red sex link pullet.

Editted to add... The second does not have the body shape, stance, comb, or feather type of a Cornish.

10. acy0029

acy0029 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2011
    Tucson
    Quote:X2

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by