Please help me--Newbie-Candleing Serama eggs Day 15

twitchnw

Hatching
8 Years
Aug 29, 2011
I'm not sure what I am looking for. I have serama chicken eggs in a hovabator, temp: 100 and humidity is almost 50%. They were gathered and sent to me on Monday August 22, received August 25 and put in the incubator. It is now September 6 so they are on day 15. When I candle the eggs, I see an air pocket, but that is it, in all of them. No dark masses or spots..nothing. Are they all no good? Please help.

Last edited:
Is the only spot you can see through when candeled the air sack? If the rest is all dark theyre probably filled with little chickies! By day 15 they should be just about all filled up, if the whole egg is still just light colored then theyre probably duds.....Good Luck!!!!
smile.png

Very little dark space in a few of the eggs. Just doesn't look like anything is in there...I've looked up pictures of others eggs and mine are nowhere close! Was it something I did?

I agree with scooby8863. If all you can see is the air sac and the rest is dark your doing good, However If you can see the light thru the entire rest of the egg they are probably duds.

Last edited:
Well that stinks!
sad.png
It sounds like you did everything fine.....They might not have been fertile from the beginning or they all just quit. i've never hatched seramas but have heard that theyre difficult
idunno.gif

Quote:
I notice you said you received them and sat them the same day. Did you allow them to settle down from the shipping pointy end down for 12-24 hours?

If the eggs were set in incubator on Aug 25th, then you are only on day 12 NOT 15. The countdown starts the day you set the eggs in the bator. The day you place them in is day 0 (zero). Today is Sept 6 and you are on day 12 out of 21. The development of the embryo only starts when at the right temperature/placed in bator. Do not toss any eggs at this point. There is a really good candling thread here.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=261876

Last edited:
I didn't let them settle pointy side down. I thought I knew what I was doing. This is sad. But thank you all for your reply's. I really appreciate having a site to go to with this stuff!!

I'm on day 13 and my eggs you can see a dark mass, the air cells have enlarged but there is a dark mass, in fact it's very difficult to see the chick. It almost sounds like yours are duds. If you can see threw the entire egg no good... You may have your days messed up also, if you gathered the eggs on August 22 and put in the incubator on August 25 then you are only on day 12 not 15.. Unless you ment you put them in the incubator on the 22nd... Now Im on day 13 and Half the egg is dark, I can see the chick moving but its really really super hard.. If at least half the egg isn't dark and alls you see is a spot, I don't think anything else is going to happen.. Sorry...

It isn't always necessary to let shipped eggs "settle", especially in this hot weather because the eggs may have already begun to develop during shipping and you may be doing more damage by keeping an early developing egg at room temperature for an extended period of time. So by omitting the settling step, you most likely haven't caused any damage to your eggs. It is however, very important to place the eggs in the bator pointy side down.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom