Please help me on this thought for a 5 gallon WINTER bucket waterer......

There's no reason why you can't set that on the cookie tin heater.
If the one you made is too small, it's simple to make another one larger, and then you'll be able to cover the bucket without wires running in

Yeah, I just don't think the cookie tin heater would keep it warm enough not to freeze. It will be sitting outside also in a covered run.

For the wires running in the top, that's not a big deal. I'll cut a slit in the lid and lip of the lid large enough to slide the wires in. I also like the idea of moving water...... I know moving water is harder to freeze.

Look at tractor supply for a submersible heater similar to a bird bath heater they call it a universal heater, they say it's safe for plastic buckets and will heat up to 30 gallons of water so I would think 5 will be no problem, Just ordered my chicken nipples and this is the route I'm going. The heater is $34.00 and is only 250watts compared to some that are 1000watts.

Look at tractor supply for a submersible heater similar to a bird bath heater they call it a universal heater, they say it's safe for plastic buckets and will heat up to 30 gallons of water so I would think 5 will be no problem, Just ordered my chicken nipples and this is the route I'm going. The heater is $34.00 and is only 250watts compared to some that are 1000watts.

Hey Jetdog.....

I ran out at lunch and picked up a $14.98 submersible heater at Walmart that's 50 watts, and a submersible fountain pump at Harbor freight for $5.99 (less 25% off coupon). So I'm out less than $20 bucks.

I've read in a few threads that these aquarium pumps don't hurt the bottom of the plastic buckets. The one I purchased even looks to have a rubber end, and rubber suction cups too.

I'll plug both into my thermocube and they will only run if the temp of the cube gets below 35 degrees.

I think I'll be safe that way and my water won't freeze. I'm going to build this tonight or tomorrow. I'll post pics along the way.

Pump:
http://www.harborfreight.com/92-gph-miniature-submersible-fountain-pump-68389.html

Heater:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Tetra-Heater-1-ct/10291808

Last edited:
Well I built it tonight after work. It's still waiting for the caulk to dry (couple days) and then I'll put some water in it and check it for leaks.

So far I'm happy with it. I'll sit it on something to lift it about 1 foot and we should be all set.

I'll put in the pump and heater and (fingers crossed) I'll be all set for winter.

Last edited:
New modification.............. Bucket was too big for the location I was going to use it and power was too far away. So I decided to put it "inside" the coop (yes, I know that might not be advisable due to humidity, but it's the best I can do).

I also changed it to be made from a rectangular laundry soap bucket which will have a smaller footprint.

I put it in the coop to take these pictures and try out the size/location. It's right next to my 5 gallon bucket feeder which has been working perfectly for over a month. I blocked the door (seen on the right so the chickens couldn't get in when I was in there). You can also see the egg boxes to the left and the web cam above the water bucket. The picture was taken from outside the clean-out door.

Also included pictures of what the bubbler (Harbor Freight $5.99) and heater (Walmart $14.94) look like inside the round 5 gallon bucket (I'll move these to my rectangular waterer).

I also live in good old Michigan I have 12 chickens and currently using a 5 gal. bucket and water nipples. I bought a submergible bucket deicer. It is called Ice chaser Model # H-49 from farm innovators. It cost about $40.00. I also have heat for the coop. I hope this helped you some. I am fairly new to this chicken living to.

take care

I also live in good old Michigan I have 12 chickens and currently using a 5 gal. bucket and water nipples. I bought a submergible bucket deicer. It is called Ice chaser Model # H-49 from farm innovators. It cost about $40.00. I also have heat for the coop. I hope this helped you some. I am fairly new to this chicken living to.

take care

Yes. I was trying to do mine at cheap as possible. :) This is my first winter with Chickens.

I set up the bucket, heater and pump in my garage Tuesday night. The water was about 60 when I filled the bucket, by Wednesday morning it was at 76 degrees!!! And the outside temp during the night was in the upper 30's (my garage was maybe 60 at the most). So it looks like the heater was doing it's job. The bucket or nipple didn't drip at all!

Yesterday I installed it all in my coop. The chickens caught on right away to where to go for a drink. I removed their old waterer. They made a bit of a mess last night but I had newspapers down so hopefully that caught all the dripping water they messed with. I checked on my wifi cam a couple times today and it looks like the newness has worn off so they must be outside in the run. When I get home tonight I'll check it out again and hopefully have found the silver bullet for this winter!

Jimmywalt, how is that particular aquarium heater holding up for you? I am thinking of purchasing one, and I want to make sure I get a durable brand.

Jimmywalt, how is that particular aquarium heater holding up for you? I am thinking of purchasing one, and I want to make sure I get a durable brand.

It has been working PERFECTLY and for the last 5 or 6 days the HIGH has been under 30 degrees! The water is nice and warm each time I check it!

:)

This thread is helpful. I don't have my flock yet and am looking at how to keep the watering nipples from freezing.

Thanks,

Alex

Back
Top Bottom