Please help me rehome my Leghorn - MA

katnjul

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 11, 2012
I have a white leghorn (I think that is what he is) rooster that a farmer gave us when he was a day old when we purchased our silkies telling us it was a hen. Although we found sometime ago on here that he was a roo, we had planned to keep him as we love him and watched him grow. Sadly we have to rehome him. Unfortunately he is not getting along with the hens (he is the only rooster that we have) and they are pretty mean to him. He in turn takes it out on my silkies and is trying to peck out their eyes. He has been raised as a pet from day one here in MA free ranged and fed a veggie/corn/layer feed diet. Will not give him to ANYONE to let him be cooked. He must be kept alive!! He is so beautiful and always comes back to the coop to roost. I've attached a few pictures of our Benny. He is quite a handsome rooster.

Ok im confused, but arent those white tufts his ear lobes??? Sorry Im not to keen on all the chicken parts lol

He is a very pretty Roo though, very healthy looking

Ok im confused, but arent those white tufts his ear lobes??? Sorry Im not to keen on all the chicken parts lol

He is a very pretty Roo though, very healthy looking

The white tufts are feathers that cover the ear itself, if you pick up one of your chickens and push back on the feathers you'll notice there is a ear canal behind them. The earlobes are the (in this case) large floppy red pieces of skin directly below the ears.

Here's my Buff Leghorn (hatchery stock), notice below his ears the lobes are solid white.

Same thing on this Kraienkopp cockerel of mine, but the white earlobes are a bad trait for this breed making this bird a cull.

God bless,
Daniel.

Thanks for clearing that up for me Daniel
thumbsup.gif

Hi, I have adopted from the animal rescue league and I know they have a farm animal site. Did you try contacting them? It may be a last resort but the hens I've gotten there have been sweet and well cared for.

Good luck! I had two roos I had to adopt out as well - isn't easy in massachusetts.....

Best,

- Meg

Back
Top Bottom