Please help me sex my chicks

rparrny

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 2, 2012
I will apologize for having no pics to show as my camera showed washed out colors and I didn't think it would help. I will try my best to describe my chicks.
I purchased 6 chicks at my local feed store, they were advertised at Ameracuanas but I think they are probably EEs as the description stated blue, green and pink eggs and I don't think Ameracuanas lay pink eggs. I thought they were sexed but after reading several threads I'm afraid I may have several roos. I purchased them at about 2 weeks old and if I'm right they should be about 8 weeks old now. They all have the grey looking legs and natural beaks. Here's a breakdown of the descriptions as best as I can give:

Phi, the largest of the chicks and my favorite... looks very much like a pheasant with a ring of rust colored feathers around the neck. The only one of the chicks that allows me to handle her (?) without running. If Phi is a roo I will keep him.

Abby: the smallest of the chicks mostly very dark nearly black feathers with a bit of rust around the eyes and on the back, I'm hoping shes a hen.

Monet: Washed out colors of grey and very light rust throughout her body, hoping shes a hen.

Pepper: Black and white speckled feathers throughout hoping shes a hen

Rosy: Rose colored breast and rose and grey feathers, hoping shes a hen

Scout: grey and rust feathers with rust on the shoulders, think scout may be a roo.

About the tail feathers: totally confused her as pepper has very straight feathers but I think she's a hen, some chicks have more rounded feathers...like a feather duster on their butt others have straighter feathers.

I'm new to this breed but not to chickens, I had a flock of RIR's last year that were slaughtered by a 30 pound raccoon that had arms long enough to reach into my Eglu vents and decapitated my entire flock...on Halloween of all night...brr. I chose the breed for temperament as I have relocated the coop closer to the house and wanted a gentler bird as by 18 month grandson is now running around outside. I have since modified to the coop to ensure safety.
I have read all the threads about IDing....as a result I'm more confused then ever.

If I can get the neighbor girls to help me I will have them hold them individually and photo them later this week
any help is appreciated.

Yeah I figured as much. Many of the threads I read talked about rust feathers on the shoulders and neck being a tell tale sign of a roo...was hoping a description of them would help. I will get the girls to help me take pics later in the week. Thank you for the reply

Just from your description I'm thinking Abby, Monet and Scout may be roosters, but really can't say without pics.

At 8 weeks, the combs should be apparent on males, females will still have a very small, pale comb while males will be getting plumper and red.

Back
Top Bottom