Please help me train/socialize my scared timid dog

Best thing we ever did for our timid pup was take her thru obedience classes. You know, the kind at Petsmart or Petco. After initial beginner training I took her thru a class called "Click-a-Trick". This was more training but very FUN for both myself and the dog..... it really helped her open up and get used to being out around people. She also got so much positive feedback from all the tricks she learned that she began to love to show off for new people.

Maybe this same approach will help for you.

Great advice guys!!!!!!!
thumbsup.gif

We also ran a shelter and have rehabbed many dogs! Think about it this way. . . she is afraid and needs to build her confidence. We had a great dane come to us as a pup and we had to remove car seats to get him out of car he was so afraid of everything. but attached to my hip making every step with me within 6 months he became our spokes dog. He was representing us at large events with 1000's of people around him holding his head high. He was He was with us for many years and was the best dog we have ever had!!! He passed away last year with Cancer but left a lasting legacy on many hearts!!! With patience and strong confident leadership on your part she can gain her confidence.

ETA: We also used to do the "Do nothing" exercise with timid and hyper dogs. find a small room and sit in a chair and hold dogs leash. Absolutely ignore the dog until they are calm and relaxed (Very important that they are truly relaxed). Then once relaxed gently pet in a slow full stroke manner. Immediately stop and ignore if the dog starts getting upset, timid or hyper.

We had volunteers do this with dogs and with different volunteers doing the same motions it would really turn them around rather quickly.

Last edited:
OH, one more thing.
Training. Do exercises/tricks from positions of standing and motion. Forget Down, Roll over, Play Dead (for now). Work on Sit up, Heel, High Five. Teach her to jump on and off low things (Hup, Off) Teach her any trick that encourages her to touch things with her mouth or paws, like ringing a bell before going out a door. These build confidence.
Short, positive sessions.
One minute, ten times a day is infinitely better then 10 minutes once a day. This is because, at first, having your undivided attention will be unsettling for her.

You can also teach her Watch Me. Use a serious treat for this. Forget diet, you won't be using enough to throw it off so go ahead and use tiny pieces of bacon if that's what it takes. Show it to her, "Watch me" and slowly bring it up and touch your chin. She gets rewarded for looking at your face. Work it up (literally, until you are touching the treat to your forehead) until all you are rewarding is the most fleeting, momentary eye contact. Then build time. Remember to reward any tiny progress. 3 or 4 repetitions once a day.

Thank you so much for all your advice and tips!!! I'm going to print your replies so I can work on all of this. It makes a lot of sense. I'm sure I've been babying her too much, I just thought she needed that until she was more comfortable with us...of course, I thought it would only take a week, not 2 months!

I knew I could get dog help on a Chicken board...LOL.

Thank you for adopting a shelter pup, especially sticking with one what has issues. Hats off! I have to agree with DutchHollow. There will possibly always be (genetic) shyness in her, because she is almost too young to have suffered much abuse. But if you treat every dragon that she sees as if it were a lizzard, she will most likely overcome part of her fears. There is nothing to ad to the advice that you were already given. Leave those little feet firmly on the ground, attach a flat collar that she cannot back out of, and take her along for the ride. Good luck!

Try putting her on an umbilical. A leash attached to your belt all day, or as much as you can manage, every day. It is the best way to socialize her and introduce her to a variety of situations I can think of.

Back
Top Bottom