Please help me understand Lavender Isabel

shaw613

Songster
Oct 27, 2019
Northeast Colorado
I purchased hatching eggs from a breeder, described as lavender isabel. I hatched three; an isabel pullet, a lavender pullet and a lavender cockerel. I was expecting all to be isabel colored? If I were to pair my isabel pullet with the lavender cockerel next year, what would I expect to get? First picture is side by side, a month ago. Second is the pullet (yes, she has vulture hocks), and third is the cockerel with less sun. More accurate coloring; his saddle feathers are coming in an ivory color. There's so much to learn here I appreciate any advice :)

Attachments

• IMG_7710.JPG
    IMG_7710.JPG
    473.1 KB · Views: 25
  • 402A4466.JPG
    402A4466.JPG
    424 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_7685.JPG
    IMG_7685.JPG
    270.8 KB · Views: 13
To create Isabel (which is lavender diluting a partridge or wheaten pattern) you breed lavender to partridge/wheaten in the first crossing. To achieve the Isabel colour you have to breed together the offspring (which I think would be black with gold leakage). You will get some Isabel, some lavender, some partridge etc. Your eggs must be from that crossing.

Isabel to Isabel breeds true. You may have to cross the Lavender cockerel to the Isabel pullet and save a cockerel as he will be carrying the Isabel, then breed him back to the pullet. The Lavender cockerel will not be carrying Isabel as Lavender has to be inherited from both parents to create a Lavender bird (so there's no room for Isabel in the genes).

It does tend to become too pale after a few generations so outcrossing to partridge/wheaten birds will darken it up once more.

Hope that makes sense.

To create Isabel (which is lavender diluting a partridge or wheaten pattern) you breed lavender to partridge/wheaten in the first crossing. To achieve the Isabel colour you have to breed together the offspring (which I think would be black with gold leakage). You will get some Isabel, some lavender, some partridge etc. Your eggs must be from that crossing.

Isabel to Isabel breeds true. You may have to cross the Lavender cockerel to the Isabel pullet and save a cockerel as he will be carrying the Isabel, then breed him back to the pullet. The Lavender cockerel will not be carrying Isabel as Lavender has to be inherited from both parents to create a Lavender bird (so there's no room for Isabel in the genes).

It does tend to become too pale after a few generations so outcrossing to partridge/wheaten birds will darken it up once more.

Hope that makes sense.
That's exactly what I thought, and wanted to know. Thanks so very much!

Back
Top Bottom