Please Help me VERY lethargic, seizures?

OrganicEggs75

Mottled Rosecomb Heaven
9 Years
Jul 27, 2010
So I come home to find my RIR hen laying on the floor panting and she couldn't stand. I took her in the house thinking she had heatstroke. So I cooled her down but I think she may have something else. I think the high was 78 degrees F. All the others were in shelter panting and did not want to come out.

1) What type of bird , age and weight. RIR hen, she is about 10 months not sure on weight.
2) What is the behavior, exactly. Can't stand, eyes closed, poopy bottom but not pasty, opens eyes occasionally and sometimes makes some noise, looks around alot, very lethargic
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? since I came home from school around 3:00 pm
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? Other birds are panting and not wanting to come out of shade.
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. No
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. No
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. No, I gave her some water though.
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. I don't know
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? Cooling her off in the sink, and with hairdryer, giving her water.
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? Treat by myself.
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help. Will Post soon
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use Dirt and some shavings, I think pine.

Last edited:
I'm going to put her in a cage with a towel, how often should I feed/water her?

I would try to leave free access to food and water at all times. You can try scrambled eggs or other favorite treats if she does not seem to want to eat. I hope she gets better for you.
smile.png

I tipped her up to she if she was alive and she had like a seizure and started flapping. Now when I tip her up her neck droops and her eyes open and she weezes. Is she dead. PLEASE HELP ME!

She had another seizure. This time she was shaking and had her head all the way back to her back. And when I pick her up she is paralyzed for a few minutes and than she can move her head again.

Please Can somebody help me she is in horrible condition and keeps having seizures and is paralyzed for a few minutes after
sad.png
Please I'm begging can someone please help me...

1) What type of bird , age and weight. RIR hen, 10 months, (this is a guess) probably like 8 pounds
2) What is the behavior, exactly. Lethargic, seizures, Unable to move. Not eating or drinking, Ever since second seizure when I pick her up she drops her neck and starts shaking...
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? Since I got home and 3:00 pm
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? no
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. No
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. no
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. no
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. green
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? nothing
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? by myself
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help. not yet
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use. Dirt, pine Shavings

Last edited:
I'm sorry you're having to deal with this
hit.gif
I haven't a clue as to what could be wrong. Seizure-like symptoms could be just about anything internal - heart, brain, something giving out??? I would make her comfortable possibly in a crate or in your bathroom or someplace where she's contained and isolated. It doesn't sound good. So if she's going to go, at least she'll be comforted and comfortable.
fl.gif
Wishing that she pulls out of it...

Oh my... I have NO help for you. I'm sure someone will respond soon with help. Hang in there.

When She has the seizures she looks very scared. But she is just sitting in the crate unable to move with her eyes open. She can't eat or drink but I need to go to work for awile so I really hope she makes it

Back
Top Bottom