PLEASE help me with my fighting cats!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by rilly10, Oct 4, 2011.

1. rilly10

rilly10 Clover Field Farm

May 18, 2010
    Pottstown, PA
    I have two cats, one siamese spayed female who is 3 and a 2.5 year old siamese mix male who is neutered. They have been together since they were kittens and fixes as soon as their age allowed. They have been best buddies and NEVER fought. Yesterday I came home to pee and poop everywhere and my female hiding and howling behind my bed. After FINALLY getting her to come out I took her to the vet as I thought something was wrong. They could not find anything wrong with her and said she just seemed distressed. They wanted to know if anything had changed. Well nothing has, no new animals, no diff food, we haven't moved any furniture....nothing. These are two indoor cats that have NEVER had an accident outside of the box, or fought. They sleep together, groom each other, and eat together. Also, they have two litter boxes, two food bowls, LOTS of beds, two cat trees, two water bowls, and a ton of room.

So I get Pearl (the female) home, let her out, and they are acting weird. I thought maybe she smelled funny to Dexter (the male) since she had been to the vet. Well they kept their distance and if one got to close the other would growl or hiss. Later we were getting ready for bed and a full blown fight broke out. So Dexter got locked in the guest room, and Pearl in our room for the night. They usually have the whole house together.

This AM when we let them out a fight broke out immediately ending up with Pearls face bloody and a nail sheath stuck in her forehead. She also peed all over the house while running away from him. So they got a 3 hour timeout. I googled cat fights and read they can be weird if one smells funny so I rubbed them both in baby powder and put a drop of Vanilla Extract on their chins and noses. They are both out now but just slinking around staring at each other. I am sitting here watching them with a spray bottle and plan on spraying them if either of them starts.

I am due with our first child in 4 weeks and if they don't straighten out soon hubby says one has to go. I have been crying all morning and need to get this sorted out. I just CAN'T re-home either, but also can't have them separated permanently, or running around like lunatics with a newborn in the house. ANY advice or info would be much appreciated, I am beside myself.

Two other facts that may be important....

Dexter JUST had his yearly exam and shots a week ago..healthy as a horse.
    I have been cleaning up all the urine (Pearl dribbled while running away yesterday and today, and the poo I found yesterday) with Natures Miracle.

2. rilly10

May 18, 2010
    Pottstown, PA
    Here they are the way I am used to them...
    [​IMG]

3. sparkles2307

sparkles2307 Terd of Hurtles

Oh no! I don't know much about cat behavior other than mine eat mice in the barn and don't like the new dog but I hope you get it sorted out soon!

4. ChickInDelight

ChickInDelight Never an Empty Nest

Apr 27, 2011
    Browntown, VA
    First - if you are not already positive for toxoplasmosis, do NOT handle cat feces while pregnant!!!! That is now someone else's job.

Personally, I would let the male cat start going outside. He needs change. Siamese are SO smart. They must be bored silly in the house.

5. Orchid

Orchid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    North Central MN
    I have four cats who will have a little spat now and then but nothing serious like you're describing. In fact I've had cats my whole life and I've never had two established cats who know and like each other start fighting like this. I'm perplexed and I hope a cat expert steps in soon with some help for you!

Just a random thought - have you been bringing in new furniture, clothing, blankets etc. for the new baby? Have you rearranged the house for the new arrival?

6. rilly10

May 18, 2010
    Pottstown, PA
    Going outside is not an option here. Too many roads and feral cats. They have TONS of toys, cat trees, 3 floors to run/play on, everything an indoor cat could want.

My husband has been doing all of the clean-ups. I am aware you are not supposed to clean litter boxes while pregnant, but thank you for the concern.

7. rilly10

May 18, 2010
    Pottstown, PA
    Quote:I have gotten new furniture and stuff for the nursery, but have been slowly accumulating it over the past 9 months. They have gotten used to it all it seems. The nursery used to be my chick brooding room/office, so they were never allowed it it (it was always the only room in out house that was off limits). The door is still kept closed now that it will be the nursery. We are planning on putting a screen door in the wood doors place so that they will still be kept out, but can see in, and we can hear the baby. I just don't want cat hair in there or the cats trying to snuggle in the crib, now I am glad I have always had it off limits even more.

I wish I had a video of what happened while we were at work yesterday. I have no clue what could have started this. They have never even had a play fight or spat before this.

I am going to go to Petsmart tonight and try to get those Feliway Plug ins which I have heard are a godsend. I may also get one of those window boxes and another cat tree just to give them more options. They are so spoiled already I can't even begin to see what they were fighting over! They have 2-3 of EVERYTHING!

I also have a follow up call in to the vet to see if she has any ideas/suggestions.

8. Chick_In_The_Burbs

Chick_In_The_Burbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Western Washington
    I have three cats, one of which is a Siamese. They may be reacting to hormone changes. When I was pregnant they had a short spat or two about snuggling rights. Peek A Boo (Siamese) normally had the prime lap landing and snuggling in the bed rights. But for some reason, when I got pregnant General (half Russian Blue) decided he was going to take that place and Bonzai (Manx) started sleeping on the bed when he normally wouldn't have even stayed in the bedroom for long. This caused some not-so-nice incidents. General just used his weight and stuborness to hold his ground and push Peek off. She objected but she is literally half his size so she didn't push it. However that put her into Bonzai's new realm and THAT resulted in some explosive moments. Peek is also half Bonzai's size but she viewed him as 'that little scrap of *fill in bad word here* that they brough in'. She was, and is, the Queen and the court jester better know his place! Well, it didn't really work out that way.

Point being, your pregnancy could be affecting them and how they percieve the hierarchy. Cats are extremely territorial and Siamese especially are emotionally sensitive. If one thinks the other is getting more attention or that they are not getting enough attention... That's my only insight.

And a bit of advice-
    If I were you I would ask your DH to give them at least a month after the baby is born to adjust and mellow out. Just make sure you define the crib and basinette as cat free zones before the little one arrives. That way there is no negative association with the baby, just those areas.

9. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    Have you noticed any new cats outside? Has your female been checked out for illnesses or pain?

I have three neutered males (fixed very young). Dodger and Fagin are siblings. Max was my original cat. Max and Fagin do not get along. They mainly avoid each other with occasional hissing fits. Dodger and Fagin have always been buddies. Dodger and Max have always played with each other. About a year ago things erupted here. Everyone was fighting. It was horrible. All three boys started spraying and the house REEKED of cat urine. Long story short, two of the boys had urinary tract infections AND an outside male cat had started sleeping on the back porch. The boys could smell him.

A year later and we seem to be back on an even keel. The UTIs were treated. The boys have gotten used to the outdoor cat. I have added some cat trees and litter boxes. The entire house has been doused with Nature's Miracle and other products. So far things seem to be calming down.

All of that to say, I had not idea that my boys were in pain from the UTIs. They showed zero symptoms other than being cranky with each other. Make sure that your girl doesn't hurt. She might be reacting to pain and it is snowballing.

Good luck. [​IMG]

10. Orchid

Orchid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    North Central MN
    Quote:Ditto that. When our first child was born, my older cat did not speak to me for 6 WEEKS. He was not amused.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by