please help....(meat rabbits)

fowlman33

In the Brooder
9 Years
Dec 16, 2010
I have a good friend that is going to give me his large rabbit hutch....I want to raise some rabbits for meat, please give me some suggestions on breed....I really like the San Juan breed, any pros or cons to this breed....I could possibly even sell a few to my rabbit hunting buddies for training of their beagles
smile.png

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Quote:
Yes, those are two of the less expensive breeds that produce alot of pet quality off spring, which is what you want. I would search CL and use pet quality rabbit as your search criteria.

Flemish aren't a good meat breed, they eat a LOT, don't grow to a good muscular weight very quickly. They grow lots of good heavy bone with relatively little meat. Go for a medium-large breed for meat: standard Rex, New Zealand, Champagne or Creme D'argent, Satins, Americans, Californian.

If you'd like meat and gorgeous plush furs, definitely check out those standard rex! If you'd like to keep smaller rabbits which still dress out to a lot of usable meat, have a look at Florida Whites.

Last edited:
Quote:
i love the standard rex.. just the bloodlines around here are really weak.. we bought three bred does from a local breeder.. everyone had health issues.. but our calis and NZs were fine.. broke my heart to when we had to cull them

Back
Top Bottom