please help....(meat rabbits)

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by fowlman33, Aug 10, 2011.

1. fowlman33

fowlman33 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 16, 2010
    I have a good friend that is going to give me his large rabbit hutch....I want to raise some rabbits for meat, please give me some suggestions on breed....I really like the San Juan breed, any pros or cons to this breed....I could possibly even sell a few to my rabbit hunting buddies for training of their beagles [​IMG]

any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Flemish giants get HUGE, around 20 lbs each. I am sure there are pet quality out there that aren't as expensive as the show buns.

3. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

for meaties.. we raise California bunnies and New Zealands

4. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Quote:Yes, those are two of the less expensive breeds that produce alot of pet quality off spring, which is what you want. I would search CL and use pet quality rabbit as your search criteria.

5. Jamie_Dog_Trainer

Jamie_Dog_Trainer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    Washington State
    Flemish aren't a good meat breed, they eat a LOT, don't grow to a good muscular weight very quickly. They grow lots of good heavy bone with relatively little meat. Go for a medium-large breed for meat: standard Rex, New Zealand, Champagne or Creme D'argent, Satins, Americans, Californian.

6. Shadera

Shadera Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2011
    Kentucky
    If you'd like meat and gorgeous plush furs, definitely check out those standard rex! If you'd like to keep smaller rabbits which still dress out to a lot of usable meat, have a look at Florida Whites.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2011
  7. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

Quote:i love the standard rex.. just the bloodlines around here are really weak.. we bought three bred does from a local breeder.. everyone had health issues.. but our calis and NZs were fine.. broke my heart to when we had to cull them

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by