Please help!!! My 2 drakes attacked my baby goose

chickenlady08

Songster
10 Years
Jul 27, 2009
Eastern Shore, VA
His/her eye is messed up and now his face is swollen up. What can I do? Holiday weekend and no vet around that will treat poor Charlie. What can I do for him? He is drinking water but as far as I can tell he hasn't eaten anything and he is pooping greenish poo. Is this a sign of infection? Can I give him an injection of Penicillin?

Please help I am so afraid he is not going to make it. What can I try to get him to eat? I will try anything so I don't lose him.

I will post pictures as soon as I send them from my phone.

thank you

Lisa

Poor thing. Put some neosporin on its face and eye (the one without the pain relief in it) How long ago was he attacked? Green poop doesn't necessarily mean infection. Pictures would help.

scratch'n'peck :

Poor thing. Put some neosporin on its face and eye (the one without the pain relief in it) How long ago was he attacked? Green poop doesn't necessarily mean infection. Pictures would help.

It happened yesterday late afternoon. I think I have some of the neorporin without the pain relief in it or I will go get some. What about the swelling? Will it hurt his eye? Cant get my phone to send pictures right now, it keeps getting a failed signal. But will keep trying...​

The green poop may be more from a stress reaction. I'm not sure if the swelling will hurt the eye, but birds can heal pretty well from some really bad injuries. Oh, and neosporin can be put directly in the eye, too. My chicken had a cut on his eye lid and his eye swelled and the petroleum based ointment worked really well.

Last edited:
Here are some pictures I just took of Charlie:

37732_0528011616_-_charlie_5-28-11.jpg

37732_0528011612_-_5-28-11.jpg

The pictures just don't show it so well. But his eye is pushed back inside of the socket and I can't even see the eye at all now.

and these are from yesterday afternoon:

37732_0527011744a_-_5-27-11.jpg

37732_0527011746_-_5-27-11.jpg

Last edited:
Wow your description of the eye pushed back in the socket is more concerning that the pictures. The swelling will go down eventually, but it is hard to say how the eye was damaged. I'm glad he is drinking are their any treats he likes that would have some nutrition that you could try to give him?

scratch'n'peck :

Wow your description of the eye pushed back in the socket is more concerning that the pictures. The swelling will go down eventually, but it is hard to say how the eye was damaged. I'm glad he is drinking are their any treats he likes that would have some nutrition that you could try to give him?

Yes I knew the pictures wouldn't show it properly. I could see the yesterday but today I can't. Well he has only been here with me for a couple of weeks and he hasn't ventured out to try treats when I bring them out to the others. I just tried plain yogurt and canned kitten food just to give him something in his body.​

Poor thing -- if it were me, I'd put tetracycline and electrolytes in his water, and also I'd keep him in a warmed box at about 92 degrees.

If he doesn't get a infection, he'll probably survive, but may lose the eye. You won't really know for a few days -- young animals do have an amazing ability to heal, so I wouldn't give up hope. Swelling is probably pushing the eye back -- hopefully when that subsides it will be OK.

I wonder if you could hold a cold pack against his eye for a few minutes at a time to help with the swelling? I would suggest an NSAID anti-inflammatory if this were a person or a dog, but I don't have a clue if that would be safe for geese, or toxic, or what the dose would be.

Quote:
I can do that with the box. I have duramycin not tetracycline and everything around me is closed until Tuesday. Would that work the same until I can get the tetra? And by losing the eye do you mean it will do what exactly, fall out or will the vet have to remove it for him? sorry dumb question, but I see house goose here:)

I just looked at my pack of duramycin and it says it is tetracycline so I do have it.

Last edited:
Poor little guy, makes me want to reach out and give him a big ol' hug
hugs.gif

...Normally when an animal "loses an eye" it means that they will lose sight in it, not actually lose the eye...meaning the eye will heal back cloudy or misshapen or something along those lines...
but if the actual eye wasn't too badly damaged and its just really bad swelling I wouldn't worry too much...

(It may look bad now but give it a few days, animals have amazing healing powers!
thumbsup.gif
hugs.gif
)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom