Please Help! my chicken is having trouble walking!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lunybird, Jul 3, 2016.

1. lunybird

lunybird New Egg

Jul 2, 2016
    [​IMG]
    Please help my 4 month old chicken!! I've noticed that she is having a very difficult time walking and keeps falling on her face when she tries to move. She isn't able to bear any weight on her right foot which also makes it difficult to move around and get food. We separated her from the flock today in hopes that she will be able to recover. We did an epsom bath this morning and checked for signs of bumble foot, inflammation or a splinter but her didn't see anything. Can someone tell me what this may be? Thank you in advance

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. Do you think she may have injured it? Vitamin deficiencies are common, but sometimes Mareks disease can be a problem if the foot and leg seems to be paralyzed. Are her toes curled under? Get some poultry vitamins that include riboflavin on the label, and put them in her water. Hopefully she wiwll start to improve with the vitamins. It might be good to leave her with the flock in a crate or cage with food and water, so that she will get to it easily.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by