Please help! My Duck struggling to walk.

SammyMartka

In the Brooder
May 8, 2023
I have a duck that is almost 10 months old. A few weeks ago Me and my family noticed she seems to have stopped walking as much then later becoming worse to the point she can't walk/ keep her balanced. We provide her, and the rest of our ducks enough niacin so its nothing on niacin deficiency. Also checked both of her feet and no bumble foot. Also been seeing that she is alot more comfortable around us but while she was outside walking she did not let us touch her. Very worried about her and none of us know whats from. Also noticed today that she has been making very unsettling moments which is hard to explain. No clue what is wrong please help.

when did she last lay an egg? if she is eggbound sometimes a nerve gets pressed and they can’t walk. can you feel her abdomen for an egg?
is she laying down off by herself and is she panting at all and is she pumping her tail up and down?
if she is egg bound, she will need a good dose of calcium. We like to use liquid calcium gluconate and give it to her orally with a syringe, 1 ml per day for a week or so. making sure not to aspirate her if you decide to give her liquid medicine or a capsule please https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...dications-to-all-poultry-and-waterfowl.73335/
I don’t know if there are other things besides niacin deficiency, and being egg bound that would cause her not to be able to walk, but I’m sure someone else with more duck experience than me will come onto this thread and help as well
I think there’s a disease that makes chickens legs paralyzed and does other things like that but I don’t know if it affects ducks I think it’s called Mareks disease? hopefully she doesn’t have that

when did she last lay an egg? if she is eggbound sometimes a nerve gets pressed and they can’t walk. can you feel her abdomen for an egg?
is she laying down off by herself and is she panting at all and is she pumping her tail up and down?
if she is egg bound, she will need a good dose of calcium. We like to use liquid calcium gluconate and give it to her orally with a syringe, 1 ml per day for a week or so. making sure not to aspirate her if you decide to give her liquid medicine or a capsule please https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...dications-to-all-poultry-and-waterfowl.73335/
I don’t know if there are other things besides niacin deficiency, and being egg bound that would cause her not to be able to walk, but I’m sure someone else with more duck experience than me will come onto this thread and help as well
I think there’s a disease that makes chickens legs paralyzed and does other things like that but I don’t know if it affects ducks I think it’s called Mareks disease? hopefully she doesn’t have that
She has not layed again since we took her inside which was 2 weeks ago i think. I just felt around her abdomen area. Not exactly sure on how it is supposed to feel. I feel a ball like thing but not sure if its actually a egg or if its just bone/ organs

Back
Top Bottom