1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Please HELP! My poor "Peanut" hen :(

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by attached_mama, Sep 13, 2010.

1. attached_mama

attached_mama Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2010
    Outskirts of Pittsburgh
    [​IMG] My 6 year old came running in the house in hysterics.
    Peanut (his favorite hen) had her head stuck in the run fence, and the other chickens were pecking her, badly:hit

I got the other hens off of her and got her unstuck. She has a LARGE (1/2 dollar or more) size circular HOLE on her backside, about 2 inches away from her vent. I soaked her in warm water and cleaned the blood off. I kept her wrapped in a towel, dried her and applied neopsorin.

Right now, I have her in her own section of the coop- blocked off from the other hens. Can I keep her outside in her own coop area, or do I need to keep her in the house? I have a tractor supply I can go to first thing in the morning.

I just read through some old posts- I will buy blueKote tomorrow- and I have a LOT of natural, local honey.
    What's your advice? How should I treat the wound? Can I keep her outside, or keep her in the house?

WHY are chickens cannibals? I am so upset by what I saw. I (and my poor son) are both really really shaken up. [​IMG]

2. HyLinda

HyLinda Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2010
    Warrens, WI
    Whatever you do, don't put her back with the other chickens until she is completely healed or they will continue to pick at her wounds. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by