Please help-need any advice or moral support!!!!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by chickensioux, Jan 23, 2010.

1. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    My neighbors are on a campaign to do whatever they can to make me get rid of my animals. I live in a small subdivision (13 homes) each has around 1 acre, some alittle more. We have covenants but nothing that states I cannot have my animals. You can see in my sig what I have. They are going to claim too much noise and smell. We are also surrounded by a cow farm and sod farm. We are in the county and there are no laws against me having these animals. My chickens, ducks and turkeys are well fed and cared for and kept clean. They also complain about my dogs (4) barking. I have read our noise ordinance and we have not broken anything there either. It just upsets me so much that they are trying to cause me problems and make me worry. Logically thinking, we are fine in every way but it still make me so upset. These people are so horrible and nasty, there is no telling what they will come up with to cause us any kind of trouble they can. These people are not rational, we have tried to talk to them and we always walk away more angry and frustrated than before. What would you do?

2. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    I ignore any crazies. In this case they have no basis. Make sure you're up to code and keep calm and carry on.

3. LaurelRidgeDreams

LaurelRidgeDreams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2010
    Mountains of NC
    Are all of your neighbors upset or just the ones who live closest to you?

4. chickensioux

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    Quote:Just the two houses closest to us. None of the others hear or see anything.

5. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    Who was there first? If you were there first and had the animals when they moved in, then they should have known and now have no right to gripe about it. If they have been there forever and you moved in with the managerie later, then I can maybe see how they would be upset if you don't match what they invisioned for their home sweet home. One acre isn't that big in the grand scheme of things.

I assume you have already tried killing them with kindness. At this point ignoring them may be your best bet. The old "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all" makes sense in this case. They clearly aren't going to have anything nice to say. Why bother talking to them?

I also assume that you have copies of all the ordinances and you are sure that you are legal. Be proactive and make sure that you can counter any claims they make from the beginning. I'd also make sure that should they call animal control that AC has no grounds to take your pets. Cleanliness, ample feed, fresh water and all that.

Good luck. It's a pain when you can't just live in peace. [​IMG]

6. chickensioux

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    I do have copies of everything. Kindness does not matter, you are right there. My animals have access to plenty of food and water at all times. The dogs are up to date on all shots and are house dogs 90% of the time, going out only to do their business. Like I said it is pointless with these people. We are semi-wooded and 1 of the homes cannot see my animals just hear them, the other has to hang out a window with their tongue held just so to see them.......

7. bubblebean11

bubblebean11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2009
    20 min N of Denver
    Ive lived this situation and it is not fun. We ended up moving, not that i say go do that. People like that will probably never change, they want things the way they want it and get mad when they cannot control everyone. I say ignore them and try to go on like they dont exsist. They want to make you mad and they want to get you to give up and get rid of your stuff. Im sorry you have to put up with this. I say tell them to move or leave you alone. They really have no reason to do this other than they are mean. [​IMG]

8. Chook-A-Holic

Chook-A-Holic Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2009
    Central, N.C.
    How much/often do you dogs bark? I have a feeling that this may be the root of your problem. Please don't take this personally, but if someone lived next door to me with multiple dogs constantly barking, we would have a big problem. Just because the law may allow it(during the daytime) doesn't mean that the constant barking isn't a nuisance to others. There is a difference in hearing the normal livestock noises and constantly yapping dogs. If you neighbors will hear you out, ask them. It don't sound like it will hurt at this point. I certainly hope you don't have to get rid of all of your animals because of the dogs. It seems that you take very good care of your pets. I wish you luck. Keep us posted on this.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2010
  9. Hillsvale

Hillsvale Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2009
    Hillsvale, Nova Scotia
    the farm up the road also operates a kennel and runs a doggie training facility lietash.com .... he is about a half km (1/3 of a mile) away and we can hear the dogs bark.. we can tell when someone pulls into his drive because its the same thing when we go up there.... his speciality is border collies and well.... we have one too! [​IMG] we can also hear his bull when it is feeling "romantic"... their barking doesn't annoy me but if I were next door it would.. he has a couple dozen at a time! What does he do... well other than employ some surrounding his property.... [​IMG] its hard to keep that many critters quite.

OK... we also have three dogs, a rescue shepherd with part of a missing ear maybe 9 year old; my beloved 1.5 border collie which I "rescued" of an online site similar to craigs list.... (the owner couldn't keep the puppy because they were divorcing - of course rubbish, she didn't check to see how special BC's are and their herding tendencies even around young children of which she had one shame on her) and our american cocker spanial whose 4 now (our Kng Cavalier died last spring... he made 4 and soon another doggie I bet).

I have a 800 sq foot deck off my sun room... I have no clue what those insane animals bark at when they are out there at times... a critter in the wood I suppose but it drives me MAD, and in they come in, of course two sit at the door to come in and the BC knocks on the family rom window to get our attention [​IMG] ! I am sure the neighbours closest to us don't like it much but we try and control it quickly and have made friends with them and made sure our fencing is nice and neutral wire fencing so it doesn't affect them.... they are the closest to us at about an acrea away and they are getting the lamb and kid goat in the area closest to them.... those animals are quieter and she has inticated that she will be bribed with eggs.... and I am happy to do it.

My neighbours are all very nice so we are lucky but I would certainly hate them being upset with me.... in that case I would try my best to ease the situation and ignore the rest.. did I say how lucky I was? Of course I have no zoning so I can have any animal I want....

Best wishes.... definately the dogs barking.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 23, 2010
  10. FortWorthChicks

FortWorthChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2009
    Fort Worth
    I wouldn't even bother looking their way! My neighbors are so great. All of them, I feel very lucky about that. Living in the city with a rooster you would think would ruffle some of their feathers. I wish you luck ignoring the nosey neighbors!!

Oh and I know what you mean about inside dogs, my sister has two huge dogs that would not even set foot outside in the rain! Only way to get em to stay out there more than 5 minutes at a time is on a beautiful day! lol Spoiled.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by