please help,need to get my hen to put on weight!

Mystical mutt

Chirping
5 Years
Jan 24, 2018
hello i have a lil one pound bantam named momma and she used to weigh more than this,she lost her life partner Mr rooster a few weeks ago and I got her a new hen so very stressful times and she has an ongoing respiratory illness which she will have for life sadly and had some crop issues from the antibiotics I had her on for it so I really want to get her to put on weight again! I put ACV/probiotics in her water for the past almost two wks now(thinking I should stop the ACV tomarrow and only do the probiotics from now on,worried it's upsetting her system at this point?) and am feeding her mash(her feed mixed with water) but with hard boiled egg added about twice a week,was thinking about putting less than half a tbsp of creamy peanut butter in her feed today to help her get more protien/fat but didn't then I will give her egg mash tomarrow,curious peoples thoughts on the peanut butter and how often I should mix that in her mash,I was thinking maybe once or twice a week?also curious if anyone has some ideas of how I can fatten her up,due to her crop issues that are in the midst of resolving I have to feed her only easy soft digestible stuff.i bought some flock raiser today would mixing in like a 1/4 of the flock raiser to her ration of mash help or could that cause issues like diahrea?she's been on the same feed for like 10years now so just don't want to cause any harm whilst trying to help is all!..I'm very concerned for her & need to get her to put on more weight asap!any help is very much appreciated,thank you❣️

Attachments

• 16754613465978223199353818700245.jpg
    16754613465978223199353818700245.jpg
    544.3 KB · Views: 527
It looks like you are already doing a lot I would suggest giving her some oatmeal though and some apples sider vinegar just to keep her healthy.View attachment 3395819
oh ok,thank you for reply.. I've been giving her ACV & probiotics in her water for almost two weeks now so took the ACV away today but am keeping going with the probiotics.should I start ACV again,I was thinking two weeks daily was probably enough time for a week break then add it in once a week from here?I'm also curious how often would you recommend the oatmeal and how much for a 1lb hen?also what are your thoughts on the peanut butter and The flock raiser,haven't done either of those yet.i put nutridrench into a small portion of mash for her today and kept her probiotic water available..any help is appreciated ,thank you:).. @WyorpRock

Last edited:
thank
Feed her her normal feed.
A bit of extra protein a few times a week won't hurt, a small amount of egg, fish or meat.
thank you for your reply,I'm curious your thoughts on my response to pipers peepers?I tried to tag you so you could see it easily but I'm not sure if it worked?:)

oh ok,thank you for reply.. I've been giving her ACV & probiotics in her water for almost two weeks now so took the ACV away today but am keeping going with the probiotics.should I start ACV again,I was thinking two weeks daily was probably enough time for a week break then add it in once a week from here?I'm also curious how often would you recommend the oatmeal and how much for a 1lb hen?also what are your thoughts on the peanut butter and The flock raiser,haven't done either of those yet.i put nutridrench into a small portion of mash for her today and kept her probiotic water available..any help is appreciated ,thank you:).. @WyorpRock
I love ACV and all of the benefits it has - but, for us (people), it has a weight loss effect. Maybe it has the same effect for chickens. What about corn?

Back
Top Bottom