Please help! New to ducks!

BlueMoon

Songster
12 Years
Oct 3, 2007
Scenic Verbank, NY
A young duck appears to have broken her leg, probably at the knee joint. I've put vet wrap around it, trying to bend the leg a bit.

The foot had been closed up before I bandaged it - now it's splayed open. I hope that is a good thing. The bandage is not very tight - tight enough that her leg can be stood on though, when she chooses.

The duck isn't socialized with people. She's in the garage, with a sick hen and three broody hens, and a hen with three chicks. She's in a dog crate, with cracked corn, apple, leaves, water and water with some lettuce and baby aspirin.

I don't think I can figure out which is her mate - but would bringing in another duck be good for her?

What are good things to feed ducks? I'm worried she's not eating enough.

I'm rather new to ducks and really appreciate any help or thoughts about how to make her more comfortable.

You're an angel to help her!
hugs.gif
I don't know a lot about ducks myself but I do know they can eat regular layer feed or UNMEDICATED chick starter. I've been taking care of two ducks where I work and they LOVE dandilion greens and clover which I gather for them each morning. I swear, they'd eat it all day long if I were their slave. Just try putting it in the duck's water. She will eat it from there. And put her food (chicken food) near the water too. Hopefully, somebody can give you more info. Let us know how the little sweety is doing.

Ellen

They love worms and meal worms. I feed turkey and game bird grower mixed with scratch. Romaine lettuce is good,mine also love dog food(just a little). I've never had a boken leg in an adult. I just had a gosling this spring. Doing great now. Birds heal fast,so you have that going for you. I would keep her by herself,really wouldn't want the drake to stress her. I would also leave her alone as much as possible since she's not socialized. Just visit her when you have to feed and check her wrap. Is she standing on the leg? It is really hard trying to figure out how tight the wrap has to be without cutting the circulation to the leg. When you check the wrap make sure that her leg feels warm to the touch. Good luck,you should see improvement in a week if the leg is immobilized good.

How old is the duck?

We started our ducks out on chick starter, then slowly added laying pellets as they grew big enough. Ours are now about 6 months old and are totally on laying pellets. I have given them torn bread, pancakes, lettuce, oatmeal, different scraps. They eat just about anything
love.gif

Oatmeal might be good to give her for the nutrution since she is hurt. I let it sit and cool off and they love it.

I would not add a drake in there either. I believe she will heal faster.

Best of luck, let us know how she is doing.

Wendy

Back
Top Bottom