Please help newbie with failure to thrive

slpmail

Hatching
Jul 22, 2016
Hi all! I've followed your posts and finally took the leap and picked up four guinea keets two days ago - now 6 days old. One is having some troubles. He's much smaller and seems to be unable to peck up seeds with his beak. I think he must be getting some food from the crumble in the feeder but I see the seeds scatter when he tries to peck on the ground. He's more wobbly and lethargic than the others but still keeps with the group for the most part. But I've seen him sleeping apart with his head in the feeder a few times. He had sticky butt (which I'm on top of) and diarrhea (which seems a little better since I added probiotics and electrolytes to their water). Is there anything else I can do? He won't eat from my hand. Has anybody else seen this before? Thanks in advance for your advice!

When my keets were small I would chop up a boiled egg and put it on top of their food. They loved it and it is a good source of protein for them. Don't forget to add a little grit. Good luck with your little one I hope he pulls out of it.

You might even want to run the food threw a processor and grind it up smaller that might help him eat better too. Are you feeding the game bird starter?

When my keets were small I would chop up a boiled egg and put it on top of their food. They loved it and it is a good source of protein for them. Don't forget to add a little grit. Good luck with your little one I hope he pulls out of it.

You might even want to run the food threw a processor and grind it up smaller that might help him eat better too. Are you feeding the game bird starter?

It is a misconception that hard boiled egg is a high protein source. Hard boiled eggs average around 12%-20% protein so are actually bringing the protein level down from what they should get. A google search can verify what the protein levels are in hard boiled eggs.

I am sure that there are other reasons that hard boiled eggs are good for keets but it is not for bringing up the protein levels.

Thank you for that information on hard boiled eggs. I do wish you would give slpmail some good advice on how to help this little keet rather then correcting me.
idunno.gif

My advice would not be appreciated since I don't mess with poultry that requires special care. I cull really quickly.

If they planned on culling the keet they wouldn't ask for advice so your absolutely correct with that answer.

Thanks for your advice, pattyhen! I do have them on a high protein game starter but will try the food processor idea mixed with a little egg - he might be able to eat that easier. I'll do what I can for him for as long as he seems willing to make a go of it :) Honestly, I picked out the little guy figuring I would probably be the best hope he's got, even though (or perhaps because) I don't know anything :)

Your very welcome and bless your heart for picking the little guy out and giving him a chance to have a healthy life. I'm always for the underdog too. Let us know how he does and good luck with him.

Back
Top Bottom