please help! not sure what to do next??

aymer

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jul 17, 2009
san francisco, ca
background:

i have five 1 1/2 year old hens and five 6 month old babies that are free range birds on an acre of land. two months ago i lost one of my hens. she was dead in the morning with no signs of trauma. she was nice and heavy. i buried her because i did not know UC Davis does chicken autopsies. a month later i lost a rooster (5 months old). he was very skinny and the autopsy came back that he died from secondary infections because he had coccidiosis. i treated the whole flock with sulfasol (my feed store did not have corid). after this, i took my "special chicken" (born with a broken neck) to the aviary vet. she came back with a clean bill of health. then one bird from my neighbors flock died (autopsy came back with mareks). the neighbors flock and mind tend to visit. my neighbor lets nature take it course so i am treating her flock too (22 birds). next i lost another one of my birds (very skinny little one). i am waiting for the autopsy to come back but the preliminary one came back saying she had no fat on her body (none at all!!). i can post the autopsy if people think it would help or be interesting to read.

now:
i have three birds in my laundry room (chicken infirmary) in rabbit hutches.

one from my neighbors flock. treated her with sulfasol. no improvement. while she was walking on my floor she pooped and i found a round worm in the poo (3 inches and looks like angel hair pasta). treated her and both flocks with wazine. she is eating and drinking very little. she still feels good. she has diarrhea.

birds 2 and 3 are from my flock (6 months old). they are dangerously skinny. they have a good appetite but seem tired (need naps throughout the day). i just ordered corid which should be here tomorrow. both of these birds poo looks ok but do tend to keep their heads down instead of perky.

i am a new to chickens. everything i know has come from reading other peoples post. i have tried everything i can think of and i am still losing my girls. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Well, make sure they have no signs of cuts etc, so no infections / decises can get to them. The other desices might of been what they ate.. keep an eye on that. otherwise, good lcuk1 I know exactly how you feel! Hope I helped

This might sound obvious, but when I first got chickens I was honestly in the dark and made some mistakes that cost birds who should have lived, their lives...

Is there food available ALWAYS? I started out thinking that chickens were like dogs or cats: you feed them a time or two a day and they are happy. I was WRONG. Make sure there is high quality and high protein food available all day long. You may want to set out several feeders in several locations so the lower on the pecking order birds can still eat too. Make sure their coop is dry, draft free and well ventilated. Fresh water always, and treats offered often. Continue treating illness as needed, and all should improve!

no cuts or infections that i know about. i do feel like i am in the dark on this! i free feed modesto mills laying pellets mixed with scratch. i use two feeders so the little ones can get food. they get lots of veggie treats! started about two months ago i fully clean out our coop and run every week just in case.

one of my little ones (in the house) is not doing well this morning. she is "fluffed up" and lethargic. she keeps closing her eyes. i have not been able to bring a chicken back from this. the corid should be here tomorrow afternoon. do you think i should try it if she is still alive?

thanks for all the help! i never knew i would have to be a chicken vet!

"Mixed with scratch" may be a big part of the problem. What is called scratch varies a lot; you have to read the label. Generally it has far less protein than regular feed, and should only be given in small amounts as a treat, certainly not mixed with feed.

i mix 50 lbs of scratch in with 100 lbs of laying pellets (all organic). the girls eat the scratch first then the pellets. i make sure most of the pellets are gone before i add more. should i be doing pellets only?

Quote:
Yes, just put the pellets out in the feeder and you can toss them a couple handfulls of scratch once or twice a day as a treat.

Think of it as if scratch was candy and pellets a balanced meal.....and the chooks were a three year old child-----they need the balanced meal, but will fill up on the darn candy everytime.

Yes. They eat the scratch first because it is like candy to them -- and that's how much they should get.

Back
Top Bottom