1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Please help!!! Only one duck left...

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by kitolongo, Dec 8, 2012.

1. kitolongo

kitolongo Out Of The Brooder

Oct 31, 2011
    We had 3 ducks- 5 months old, all female, and have lost 2 in the past 2 weeks to an unknown predator ( daytime, and no trace of an attack- the ducks just vanish sometime between noon and 5;00 pm.) We are thinking possibly an eagle ? We have one left- these girls were hatched and hand raised. Should we bring in another female for our last little girl/? We are going to put her in the chicken yard for now. She is familiar with the silkies and sees them through the fence regularly. Will she integrate with them? Or does she need another duck ? Would a duck not raised by us do ok with her? So sad and want to do what's best for her.

2. TexasJ

TexasJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2012
    Texas
    For what it worth a radio left on in coop area will deter most predators hope that helps sorry about your loss

3. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    ducks prefer other ducks, so yes be on the look out for a new friend for her. So sorry you are suffering loses. Hawks, and other birds of prey are likely. We have bobcats around here who wiped out a neighbor about 1 mile away entire flock.

4. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    She may appreciate the company of the silkies (they may not) for now but will do best with another duck or two.

I would also address the predator situation. No sense bringing in others only to lose them to a predator. It does sound like a raptor of some sort. You can check the predator section for suggestions but moving, shiny objects like cds or pie plates can help and are inexpensive.

5. Chicken Crazy12

Chicken Crazy12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Owl,Eagle,or other winged predator seem very likely to be the culprit here. Definitely address the predator issue first. I've seen a lonely duck live in peace with chickens, but the chickens were not too happy about the situation because the duck always messed the water and would sit in the water and fuss at the chickens trying to keep them out of his water. So the preferred buddy would definitely be another duck. I don't see why any other duck wouldn't work..... may take a while for the new one to come around to you but with treats and gentle approach it should do so in no time.

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Wait on adding more birds until the predator problem has been defined - solved.

7. kitolongo

kitolongo Out Of The Brooder

Oct 31, 2011
    Thanks so much for all the responses! The ducks were free-ranging around the house during the day and locked up at night. We're going to keep the ducks in a fenced yard /pen with netting on top, so the predator should be deterred. Any advice on the best way to introduce the new duck ?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by