Please Help!! or Give Advice!!

Hope0491

Songster
12 Years
Jan 30, 2007
VA/PA
O.k.. I just had a chick hatch... and I put it in with the older chicks (about a week older) after it was a day old for about 6 hours while I went away and was moving chickens around. I have other chicks hatching and I needed to get the chick out of the bator... ANYWHO, This is what they did!

DSC05227.jpg

DSC05224.jpg

(sorry, the pics are the best)... The skin is pulled away at the neck... I think the chick's eye is shot... and the chick is just NOT in good shape. My Dad and I cleaned it with Peroxide and put a TINY amount of Neo.Sp. on the top of it's head.

PLEASE, I am like... Bawling right now, I was so stupid to put the chick in with the older ones..... ARGGG.... I really need someone to give their advice... or any help... if you'd had this happen before.... or maybe you've seen this happen.

hit.gif

Be careful with the peroxide but chicks are surprisingly strong. Just keep it by it's self and make sure the skin is placed down on where it should be located. If it has already stuck and is slightly off place, don't pull it up again. After about a day it will stick there and start to heal. Let the chick rest and start to offer it food and water when it is two days old. All you can do now is let it rest. Good luck.

If you have any novalsan or chlorhexidine based flushing solution (these are antiseptic) then flush the wound with that...if not, then use a sterile saline solution (bit of salt boiled 5 minutes at rolling boil and cooled >use sterile container to spray/flush the solution onto wound)...after keep it fully covered in the neosporin to keep from drying out. Good luck.

Thanks for the help and advice everyone!! I am going to work on getting a flush or making one. I have been keeping neosporin on it... so it stays moist.

The chick is doing about the same. Although, he only eats the teeniest, tiniest amount of food... and sometimes I have to make sure he drinks every couple hours 'cause he just doesn't want too! I am going to make an egg yolk mash with unsalted sardines that was rec. to me and see if he'll eat that.

Thanks Again!
~Lacey

Hi,
Another thing you may want to do is add some vitamins and electrolytes to your water for the baby. You can get a powder mix from your feedstore. It should mix up at 1 teaspoon to one gallon water. I mix mine in a gallon bottle and use only what I need in the waterer. Little chick will need a boost after its ordeal. Try it for about 3 days, and then give it a break from the v&e water.
Best wishes!

Back
Top Bottom