Please help! Our hen has just hatched her/our first chicks shall we leave them with the rest of floc

staceydanny

In the Brooder
Sep 9, 2015
Hi We have just been out to our broody barred rock on day 22 and we have CHICKS!!! We don't no how many she has hatched yet but we heard them and saw a bit of broken egg shell :) We have 3 hens altogether and have left her to sit on her eggs with the rest of the flock they haven't been bothered by it and don't try to get in her nest box with her they have just left her alone and carried on doing what they always do only going up if they need to lay. We are slightly confused about moving her and the chicks into a separate area or just leaving them all where they are and changing there feed to chick feed and a little ramp from the nest box to the floor where there is sawdust and then there is a big ramp all the way down to outside floor. Would we need to put a little barrier across that to stop the chicks going out but low enough for the hens to get in and out to lay? Thank you :) very exciting!!!

This is a pic to show you what we mean by the big ramp to the outside area... we have also fenced off where the hens are on the wood chipped :)

I would watch them closely. Theoretically, the momma should protect them, and if you're rooster's a half-way good roo - he should probably try to keep them safe too...

If they act mean towards them, you could always isolate mom and babies for a few weeks.

You could also put a little box in there for them to hide in, that's too big for the fullsized chickens to fit into.

Last edited:
Hi We have just been out to our broody barred rock on day 22 and we have CHICKS!!! We don't no how many she has hatched yet but we heard them and saw a bit of broken egg shell :) We have 3 hens altogether and have left her to sit on her eggs with the rest of the flock they haven't been bothered by it and don't try to get in her nest box with her they have just left her alone and carried on doing what they always do only going up if they need to lay. We are slightly confused about moving her and the chicks into a separate area or just leaving them all where they are and changing there feed to chick feed and a little ramp from the nest box to the floor where there is sawdust and then there is a big ramp all the way down to outside floor. Would we need to put a little barrier across that to stop the chicks going out but low enough for the hens to get in and out to lay? Thank you :) very exciting!!!

This is a pic to show you what we mean by the big ramp to the outside area... we have also fenced off where the hens are on the wood chipped :)

If you plan on supervising the whole thing closely you could leave them be. If you want to avoid any unfortunate problems I would segregate momma hen and her babies from the rest of the flock. Which I realize now is basically what kajira said to do so I guess I second her recommendation.

Thank you that's a good idea about a little box to hid in if they feel the need :) we dont have a rooster only 3 hens when our barred rock got broody we went to a farm shop and they had fresh eggs for 20p we asked if they might of been fertilized she said they cant guarantee they are but they were in with a roo so we took the chance and they were :) we cant believe it!

Last edited:
Thank you yes we will definitely be keeping a very close eye on them all we would really like it if we could just leave them in there and they all get along but nature some times doesn't work like that :/

I say leave them all in together. It makes things so much easier.

Momma will likely brood her babies in the run, not take them back into the coop at night. You might set up a box or something cozy feeling in a corner of the run for her to use. I use the plastic totes, just turned over on a side, with some bedding.

Thank you we are going to do that with the box and also leave them altogether we have been out to check on them this morning and both our girls have come out to forage as normal leaving our broody still on her chicks and very happy! :)

Hi its going really well we left them in the coop with the other hens she brought them out on the first day which caused a little confusion with the other hens who gave the chicks a peak but mum was there to protect them and keep them safe she put the other hens in there place!! now its been 7 days and they all seem to be getting on with a couple of peaks here and there if the chicks get in the path of the hens but apart from that fingers crossed all is going well and we are really enjoying the whole experience :) here's some pics of them....

Those sweet little chickies are absolutely ADORABLE!
So happy to hear that all is going well!
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom