Please help Pa emergency!!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by jen myers, Aug 31, 2013.

1. jen myers

jen myers New Egg

Aug 31, 2013
    I picked up 6 chicks today 3 weeks old...one was acting differently than rest and it has slowly gotten worse all day...I'm now seeing reddish poop...from everything I've read on forum this chick has cocci and needs antibiotics!!! Now it's 7 pm on sat on a holiday weekend and tractor supply doesn't sell any...all vets are closed!!! Does anybody have any I can buy from them?? I don't want this little one to die and I don't want the others to get sick!! Help!

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
  3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Go to the Pa thread in the link provided by redsoxs. Maybe one of your 'neighbors' can help out. Good luck, and welcome to BYC.

4. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Those symptoms are classic for coccidiosis. Antibiotic's will not help, go back to Tractor Supply, or most any decent feed store, and look for Corid. It's usually found in the cattle section. Liquid or powder, doesn't matter.

Dose for liquid is two teaspoons per gallon of water for 5 to 7 days, make it up fresh every day.

Dose for powder is 3/4 teaspoon per gallon, same directions otherwise. You need to start treatment asap however, if it is cocci it is a fast killer.

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] I hope someone will be able to help you in time to save him.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by