Please help - pecking getting worse

hockeygirl56

Songster
Apr 21, 2011
Allenton, MI
While out cleaning up the coop today, I watched my 2 SLW chase down one of my EE's and jump on top of her and peck her. I've been trying to figure out what's going on with 5 of my 6 chickens losing feathers by their butts, but this particular EE is worse and I've been finding broken wing feathers and it's starting to travel up her neck now. I think the one that is not losing feathers must be protecting the EE somewhat bc she kept running to her. It seems to be mainly one of the SLW that is attacking more than the other. My husband's work friend has chickens and said he would take the worst one and see what happens at his coop. I may have to give the other SLW up too if that doesn't seem to work.
My questions are - will removing the problem chickens help me, or will the order just shift so someone else becomes the bully? Also, are there any other ideas out there, other than killing them myself, b/c I'm having a hard time with this - these SLW's have always been more skittish so I'm not as attached to them, but I got these guys as my pets and I feel horrible taking them from their home. We plan to take the bully to the new home tonight at dark (I'm told this is the best time for them to adjust so if not please let me know!!!), so as much advice as possible in the next couple hours would be very much appreciated!!!!

Just some thoughts.

1. You may want to spray the pecked areas with "Blue Kote". Wear gloves cuz it's messy, even though it's a spray.

2. If you don't have a rooster and can have one you might want to get one. They tend to break up this type of thing.

3. Do they have enough room?

4. Are they getting enough protein? If not switch to a high protein feed for a while.

Since your are getting rid of the bully and that may solve your problem.

I hope so,

Rancher

I don't have a rooster, but I really prefer not to have one if possible. Don't want to worry about the noise/possible meanness. What is the blue kote for? She doesn't have any broken skin at this point so I'm not worried about infection or anything like that. They have lots of room - the 6 of them live in a 10' x 16' enclosed area, with a 14' x 16' run attached, and they were free ranging when I watched them attack today. I feed them Kent layer feed - has 16% protein. They also get scratch corn 1-2 times a day to dig at in the shavings and random other snacks to keep them happy.

Back
Top Bottom