please help. . .pipping visible but no chicks. . .

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by sullivansteph, Jun 27, 2011.

1. sullivansteph

sullivansteph Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2011
    I have 46 quail eggs in the incubator. It is day 21. 2 or 3 have small pips in the shells. However, it looks like activity is stopped. Do I help these out that have pipped? I'm worried that my humidity dropped too low over the weekend and they may be stuck. . . .Please advise. . . .

2. scatteredeggs

scatteredeggs Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2011
    do u know how low and long has humidity dropped? i've read that not enough humidity may cause shrink wrapping.
    if u can bring up humidity to 65-70 ASAP, by putting wet paper towels inside.
    also give the pipped eggs at least 24 hours to zip.

my quail eggs started hatching on the 16th day, last saturday. last chick came out yesterday afternoon. whenever i retrieve a fluffed chick to move to the brooder, there's a drop in the humidity but not for long. i also misted with warm water.

i am using a DIY styrofoam incubator and and my eggs were shipped. i'd say i did not have the best situation, i have 9 hatched out 59. still early to say that hatching is over, as i can see pipped eggs.

3. cmfarm

cmfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Elgin, TX
    When I hatched some quail eggs I had a lot pip and then it seemed to take a long time for them to hatch. Finally I looked and like 6 had hatched at the same time and then a lot more hatched shortly after. Give them some time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by