PLEASE HELP ROO ATTACKING KIDS

celonecoop

Chirping
6 Years
Jul 29, 2013
Quakertown,PA
We have 3 Roo's and the dominant one has always been nice up until today when he attacked my kids 4 times actually opened them up I don't know because the 2nd dominant has been testing him a lot today and I don't know if that set him off but I hate to get rid of him because he is bonded with the ladies and they other 2 are not but tonight the one gray one took his place in the roost and he was all by himself on the other side so I am going to fill the freezer tomorrow and I hate to kill the one that was dominant because he is absolutely beautiful but not at the expense of my kids! So if I kill the other 2 roos will he calm down or is it to late and he will just keep attacking them now that he has started. Please help!!!!

I think that once a roo has decided he's dominant, it's a constant battle to make him think he isn't. Based on your sig, you have young kids. I don't think I'd keep that roo around, I'd be constantly worried about him around the kids. Better to keep one of the other ones that still respects people.

4 times? I would cull him. He could seriously hurt them, if he hasn't already.
I agree.

We had a vicious rooster when I was 7, and I still have scars from his spurs. He would attack my little brother whenever he got 10 feet from him. I hate to say it, but he was a delicious meal. Necessary, and delicious.

If you cull the dominant rooster, another will quickly replace him. And, hopefully a nicer one.

Yeah that's what I thought I guess we will keep the gray one that became dominant today and cull the pretty one and the other gray one and hope for the best. I kinda thought one he did it he would keep doing it I just wanted to get another opinion before I cull them tomorrow. Yeah my 4 year old daughter is lucky he got her in the face and the butt and then he got my 2 year old in the chest twice and my 5 year old in the knee. So I think he's going to be dinner tomorrow.

I agree.

We had a vicious rooster when I was 7, and I still have scars from his spurs. He would attack my little brother whenever he got 10 feet from him. I hate to say it, but he was a delicious meal. Necessary, and delicious.

If you cull the dominant rooster, another will quickly replace him. And, hopefully a nicer one.

I think one already has and that's why he's being so pissy because tonight he wouldn't even go in the coop because the grey roo was roosting in his spot with the ladies and I had to chase him in and then he went and roosted on the other side of the coop by himself

Your pretty roo's kingdom has been usurped by your less favored bird. I think that pretty boy is POed big time and he is trying to compensate.

Some people think that the pecking order is the most important feature in chicken society but in my opinion the most important thing to a chicken is not who gets to peck who but who gets to sleep
next to who. If you don't believe it spend an hour sometime watching your birds go to roost and keep up with all the bickering, squabbling, and in fighting that goes on on the roost pole.

If you want to keep pretty boy cull the rooster that supplanted him and pretty boy will likely become his old self.

Last edited:
Your pretty roo's kingdom has been usurped by your less favored bird. I think that pretty boy is POed big time. Some people say that the pecking order is the most important feature in chicken society but in my opinion the most important thing to a chicken is not the pecking order but the sleeping arrangements.

I know I've come to the conclusion that the pretty boy has to go I think he lost his top spot today and he's taking it out on the kids and I don't want to risk my kids faces because of a bird and when he went into the roost and slept on the other side of the coop from the ladies I knew hes not top bird anymore and I don't know if killing the other two will help the situation anymore since he has already attacked the kids so it looks like the grey roo I staying and the pretty boy will be dinner
hit.gif

Back
Top Bottom