Please help! Rooster attacking hen(s)

Pics

austintexasredhead

In the Brooder
Mar 22, 2018
Travis County, Texas
My rooster has been attacking one of my hens. This is NOT mating behavior. He successfully mounts and mates all the hens. Today he completely pecked out the eye of a hen he's been tormenting for two days now. He also tore her comb, and sliced her neck. I've seen him chase her across the property, chest butt her, and abuse her. I've got her isolated at the moment to heal and now he's begun tormenting one of the other hens. My flock has been together about a year. The rooster reached sexual maturity several months ago.

Are sure it’s not him being very aggressive while mating them?Is she fighting him back?
From what I have read some chicken personality’s just don’t clash,just like some humans getting along while others don’t.
I have a rooster who currently has a personal vendetta with one of my hens but nothing this serious.I don’t think it’s a disease issue because you separated her and he moved on to a new hen.

Maybe try isolating him until spring is officially over.And if he can’t act right,throw the whole rooster away.

Hormones are currently surging in poultry due to increasing light. I would remove the rooster, either temporarily or permanently. A rooster isn't generally fully mature until 2 years. Before that age they are more prone to bad behaviors, and following their every urge. With his current behaviors I personally would remove him permanently and try another rooster.

Greetings austintexasredhead,

I love roosters, but some are a challenge. I believe in training and allowing a rooster to mature, but, that's another discussion. What ever the motivation for his aggression towards the hens, it does not matter. Never tolerate aggression, especially viciousness that draws blood, let alone maims!

At the first sign of aggression, you should have responded, in defense of the hen. Your first responsibility is to the hens, put him out of the run. If you don't have another pen, he can sleep in the garage or shed. But, he must not come into contact with the flock, ever again.

I never put a rooster in with hens till I am sure he is mature enough, and is not vicious.

God Bless :(

Greetings austintexasredhead,

I love roosters, but some are a challenge. I believe in training and allowing a rooster to mature, but, that's another discussion. What ever the motivation for his aggression towards the hens, it does not matter. Never tolerate aggression, especially viciousness that draws blood, let alone maims!

At the first sign of aggression, you should have responded, in defense of the hen. Your first responsibility is to the hens, put him out of the run. If you don't have another pen, he can sleep in the garage or shed. But, he must not come into contact with the flock, ever again.

I never put a rooster in with hens till I am sure he is mature enough, and is not vicious.

God Bless :(

So, I'm just thinking out loud......what if I isolate him for another year and allow him to come to full maturity? Would this help with anything?

So, I'm just thinking out loud......what if I isolate him for another year and allow him to come to full maturity? Would this help with anything?
That is a long time to keep him locked up.
You will have other problems trying to reintroduce him.

Back
Top Bottom