Please help...Screw found in hens xray!

Personally, I would start by offering some plain. If she eats it, that is by far the easiest way to do it.

If she doesn't seem interested plain, then I'd try one of those ideas.
I just thought it wouldn't go over too well, but it's surely worth a shot. Chickens like the strangest things!

No, I lost you for a minute at first. Sauerkraut is high in probiotics as it's fermented. I spoke too soon and corrected what I meant when you asked how much.

If chickens actually eat this stuff on a regular basis, then I'd guess a tablespoon or so per day is plenty to give them the probiotic benefits. It's high in salt so that's why I'd not give them a huge dish of it. For my fermented grains, that's got way more nutrients in it, plus probiotics and prebiotics, and even with that, I don't let them gorge themselves as they need room to eat bugs and their own food.

For yours, for the idea of it helping to coat the screw, like @LaFleche said and as I corrected myself, as much as you can get her to eat.

As to how to get her to eat it, I think I'd first drain it the best I could, then mix it in some Greek yogurt, or...

I'd mix up some eggs in a bowl, add the drained sauerkraut, then fry it, or...

(the least healthy) make some pancake batter, mix the drained saurkraut in it, and make some pancakes.
I'm going to have to do your last option although it's the list health least healthy because she's so spoiled she won't eat yogurt of any kind nor will she eat egg be it scrambled boiled or raw she used to but not any longer She's just too spoiled she wants what she wants she's used to what she gets and that's just the way it is with her. The pancakes that might work.

Personally, I would start by offering some plain. If she eats it, that is by far the easiest way to do it.

If she doesn't seem interested plain, then I'd try one of those ideas.
She won't eat it, I'll just water my money I've tried many times she didn't like it at all

Oh I'm sorry you meant plain sauerkraut! Okay will do. I thought you meant playing yogurt
Now if I can find salt free would that be the best? And yes I'll absolutely have to drain it as much as I can because she won't eat anything wet I have to drain everything she is like the literalist most spoiledest probably more spoiling my children were when they were little. Lol, but seriously!

View media item 7963534

Here's one of my hen's x-rays that shows a screw, and a staple or two. Although this was in the gizzard at the time I have no idea if it passed. The very same week I was talking to my neighbor who explained how his little hen started picking up screws right in front of him while he was at his work bench. That was two weeks prior and a month ago or so. Both his and mine are fine.

Interesting suggestion about the sauerkraut, if castor oil doesn't do it try mineral oil it's also used as a laxative. I recall taking castor oil as a kid and it was 🤢. Mineral oil doesn't really have a flavor. Not sure if chickens care.

View media item 7963534

Here's one of my hen's x-rays that shows a screw, and a staple or two. Although this was in the gizzard at the time I have no idea if it passed. The very same week I was talking to my neighbor who explained how his little hen started picking up screws right in front of him while he was at his work bench. That was two weeks prior and a month ago or so. Both his and mine are fine.

Interesting suggestion about the sauerkraut, if castor oil doesn't do it try mineral oil it's also used as a laxative. I recall taking castor oil as a kid and it was 🤢. Mineral oil doesn't really have a flavor. Not sure if chickens care.
That makes me feel a little better! I Will try The sauerkraut and see how that goes. Then if that doesn't work after a while I will attempt the castor oil or mineral oil which I believe I read somewhere not to because we don't want to try to force it out but I will reread all my post to ensure

Mineral oil is a lot thinner than castor oil if I recall, might help it move a little better without pushing it through. Hopefully the sharp end got worn down while it was in the gizzard.

Wishing you good luck!

Mineral oil is a lot thinner than castor oil if I recall, might help it move a little better without pushing it through. Hopefully the sharp end got worn down while it was in the gizzard.

Wishing you good luck!
It didn't. Still sharp as it was in 1st x-ray, and same spot still but no blood in stool at all and still going strong, just spoiled so badly it becomes hard to help her when I'll or not right cuz she's too picky!

free might
She won't eat it, I'll just water my money I've tried many times she didn't like it at all
Oh I'm sorry you meant plain sauerkraut! Okay will do. I thought you meant playing yogurt

Yes, I meant to suggest offering sauerkraut plain before you bother doing anything more complicated with the sauerkraut. If the hen likes it plain, great! If not, at least it was easy to try.

Now if I can find salt free would that be the best?
If you can find it, yes salt free might be best. Otherwise, just get whichever one has the least salt, and make sure the hen has access to plenty of water. I'm pretty sure chickens cope with excess salt the same way people do: drink extra water and flush it out of the system.

I do not think the salt will cause her any major health problems in this situation. You aren't going to be force-feeding it to her, and she will be free to drink water and eat regular food if she wants. So if she starts to have too much salt, she will probably quit eating sauerkraut at that point.

It didn't. Still sharp as it was in 1st x-ray, and same spot still but no blood in stool at all and still going strong, just spoiled so badly it becomes hard to help her when I'll or not right cuz she's too picky!

Was the x-ray able to show if the screw is in the digestive tract somewhere, or if it was in a different part of the hen's body?

Something poky like a screw could make a hole in the crop or gizzard or intestine and work its way into an entirely different part of the chicken. If it did that, no amount of feeding sauerkraut or oil would make any difference.

Back
Top Bottom