Please help Sexing my duck

Chicknduckmomma

Hatching
May 21, 2024
I was wondering if any of you lovely ppl would be able to help me tell what sex my Rouen duck is!? Atleast, that's what breed I was told and when I google image searched it, it said was a rouen as well. I'm so excited to have it, I've always wanted a duck but I'm not sure what gender it is. We rescued it from a not so great condition. I was heartbroken when I saw the water they had for it. It's been thriving here with plenty of clean water and all the love and food lol I just wanna know the sex. Thank you in advance!

Attachments

• 20240520_201238.jpg
    20240520_201238.jpg
    635.4 KB · Views: 27
  • 20240520_201224.jpg
    20240520_201224.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 11
Looks like a pretty girl to me! You can also tell by voice; girls are very, very loud, whereas boys are much quieter and raspy. And yes, she’s a Rouen. Will you be getting her a friend or two? They’re so, so much happier and calmer when they have duck friends.

Looks like a hen.
Does she quack or does she have a raspy voice
is her tail curled.

If she has a raspy voice and a curled tail then she is male.
She quacks and she can get loud lol her tail is more straight, it doesn't look to be curled at all. she's so lovely! I have no idea how old she is or anything. I think I also worded wrong when I said I was told she was a rouen duck. I googled and saw pics of them and looked like them then I thought to do the Google image search🤣 so that's how I thought I figured out her breed. The lady basically knew nothing about her. I'm so glad we were able to rescue her and her 3 chicken sisters.
I thought it was female but a friend of my fiance said he thought it was male. So I had came across here and was like this is the ppl to ask! Lol
I appreciate you replying more than you know!

Looks like a pretty girl to me! You can also tell by voice; girls are very, very loud, whereas boys are much quieter and raspy. And yes, she’s a Rouen. Will you be getting her a friend or two? They’re so, so much happier and calmer when they have duck friends.
Thank you sooo much for responding! Yes! She gets pretty loud lol she comes up to my bedroom window and yells at me randomly🤣🤣 she is lovely. She can make some quiet sounds. That's one reason I thought she could be a he, because when we went to see her and decided she had to come cause it just wasn't great living condition, I'm not saying they didn't love her but she didn't have any clean water at all, when she would go to quack it almost didn't wanna come out. But we got her home and fresh water and she started quaking away.
I do want to get another one atleast. We have 3 chickens she came with. They get along alright no fights or nothing just not super close. Lol she comes yelling at my window if I'm inside alot but still isn't too great with being too close. Have to chase her to get her put up at nighttime lol Do you know is there a way I can tell how old she is or might be? Idk if she will lay eggs or not. Or if we got her a male friend would they produce babies. I still have so much to learn. But I am so happy to have her! She's been doing amazing. Thank you so much for helping my new duck mom self🤣🤣

I do want to get another one atleast. We have 3 chickens she came with.
If you got her a male duck friend, you’d have to separate your ducks from your chickens; male ducks cannot be housed with chickens safely.
Do you know is there a way I can tell how old she is or might be? Idk if she will lay eggs or not.
Well, she’s at least 2 months old.. If she isn’t laying right now, she could be too young. They tend to start laying at 6 - 8 months old, stopping for winter / when light levels are low. Also, make sure your birds have a good calcium source, like crushed oyster shells. You set it out in a dish, and they’ll eat it when they need it.
But I am so happy to have her! She's been doing amazing. Thank you so much for helping my new duck mom self🤣🤣
Of course! Happy to answer any other questions you may have :)

Back
Top Bottom