PLEASE HELP!!! SICK Baby Turkey!

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Sugroxz, May 12, 2011.

1. Sugroxz

Sugroxz Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2011
    Pleasant Hope, Missouri
    This little baby is going on about 1 1/2 to 2 weeks old. About 2 days ago it started laying around and not moving around to much. I figured it was going to die but it has held on.. For no rhime or reason did it get sick. It acted just fine and a couple hours later acted this way.. I have syringe fed it water with vitamins in it but doesn't want to eat. Anything I can do to help it? Just lays around under the heat lamp. Any suggestions???

2. jimmythechicken

jimmythechicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2010
    mansfield
    i would cull if you have other chicks with it.dont want to take any chances would just keep giving water an pray a little

3. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    You need a medicine called Corid. It's for bovine (cows), but if you buy the powder, give some to your poult in a syringe or eye dropper if necessary. I think it may have Cocci. If you put 2 tsp in one gallon of water, that should be the proper doseage. Do this asap.....time is not a friend in this case......

Good luck with your poult.

4. Sugroxz

Mar 31, 2011
    Pleasant Hope, Missouri
    Quote:It was in with my other little Turkey and my Bantam Cochin chicks.. It has been with them since I got it.. No one else is having any issues just wondering what would have brought this on all of a sudden? I know no one was or has been sick just hate it see it die if there is something I can do to help it..

5. ColbyNTX

ColbyNTX Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Woods, TX
    Boil some eggs and feed it the yolk.

6. Sugroxz

Mar 31, 2011
    Pleasant Hope, Missouri
    Quote:Can you give them metronidazole? I raise Bulldogs so I have that on hand but not corid. You thik it would have Cocci? It's been on medicated water since I've gotten it..

7. Sugroxz

Mar 31, 2011
    Pleasant Hope, Missouri
    Quote:It won't eat anything... How do you force feed them?

8. birdbrain5

birdbrain5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2010
    when i was trying to keep my turkey baby alive i had to force feed it, i did every hour during the day. i just opened its beak and put a pinch of food in its mouth and waited til it swallowed to give more. then dipped its beak in water too. good luck, no idea what would be going on since its this old already, mine started going downhill at about 5 days old. i figured it to be either OD with the electrolites, and/or not eating.

9. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

delete

Last edited: Jul 20, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by