1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Please help sick chick!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by egki, Apr 3, 2016.

1. egki

egki Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2016
    Bozeman montana
    Hi I just joined BYC and the reason. I wanted to get some answers for my sick baybe chick. She is about a week and a half old and she has had a seizure today and she is not doing well. She is a buff orpington and very weak right now. She has the disease called coccidiosis. If she dies it will be the 4th one to die from it and she has been vomiting every once in awhile we have been giving her antibiotics electrolytes vitamins and liquid corid in a syringe. She is always doing this thing with her head where she almost looks like she is hiccuping constantly.she lives with 2 bigger new Hampshire reds and we think she might be getting it from them but they probably just have stronger immune systems so they fight it off easier.her crop is always big soft and mushy. Please help! Thank you for reading this

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join us here! I'm sorry to hear you have a poorly chick :hugs I see you have posted in the emergencies section where I'm sure members will be able to help you. I hope you can get her well again soon :fl

Wishing you the very best of luck.

3. egki

egki Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2016
    Bozeman montana
    Hi. thank you so much. She is doing a lot better today. thank you for replying so i know there is someone reading this[​IMG][​IMG] she has stopped vomiting and is doing well today.

4. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Fore!
    [​IMG]

Sorry to hear your chick is sick. I hope the members over in the emergencies forum can help you out.

Good luck!

5. egki

egki Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2016
    Bozeman montana
    Thanks!

6. egki

egki Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2016
    Bozeman montana
    Hi. I'm here with a update on the little girl.she's doing better than she was yesterday but she has seemed to like to stand in the middle of her wet food bowl and runs in circles sometimes and she almost constantly peeps but she has 2 other new hampshire reds to be with.she has stopped having seizures and has been doing better but she still isn't quite right. She hasn't been vomiting either. Does anybody have any suggestions or thoughts that could help us? Thanks

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Do you think the larger chicks may have injured her? If she is running in circles (and had seizures) she may have some brain damage.

8. egki

egki Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2016
    Bozeman montana
    No i do not think that they have been picking on her.she looks to them as her mom!i was thinking that she might have brain damage to but i dont know for sure she only ran in the circle once or twice and had a seizure twice.:)i do think that they are giving her coccidiosis. Im not sure about a lot of things right now. Thanks for your info!:)

9. CTKen

CTKen Monkey business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - hope all turns out well.

CT

10. egki

egki Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2016
    Bozeman montana
    Thanks. me to!:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by