Please help! Sick chicken

triciakay

In the Brooder
Sep 9, 2020
Hi. I’m new to posting, and I need some help. I tried to read through posts of people whose chickens had similar symptoms but there’s a lot of info kinda scattered all over the place.
One of my hens was on her roost this morning when I came to open the coop. She is usually at the door, squawking to get out. She’s an erratic layer (sometimes she lays while on the roost, sometimes she skips a day or two, sometimes the eggs are soft shelled,etc.) I put her in the nest, bc she looked a little puffed up and had her mouth open.
She got out of the nest immediately and went to the side of the coop and just stood. Her tail is up and kind of pulsing? Looks like she’s contracting by muscles to poop or lay.
The surface under the roost has diarrhea. She passed two more bits of diarrhea. She went back to the nest and laid down facing the back of the coop, which isn’t normal for her. She was laying down, still pulsing, with her eyes closed.
Now she left the nest and went to the back corner, where she stood with her tail straight back, pulsing, and head almost to the ground with eyes closed.
Now she’s laying with her head down.
Please help!
She is also quite warm.
She’s been off before for a day but not like this.
image.jpg
image.jpg
406E62E0-8EAA-409B-B354-971BD0B11F87.jpeg

Attachments

• AB38157C-1C11-4457-A5A6-39A33FD36BD0.jpeg
    AB38157C-1C11-4457-A5A6-39A33FD36BD0.jpeg
    471.9 KB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    545.4 KB · Views: 0
I put her in a tub of water (that’s what she wanted to do last time she had similar symptoms, stand in water) but the poor baby can’t keep her head up.
image.jpg

She passed before they could examine her. 😢 RIP Wilma. ❤️
They only offered xrays and fecal test to determine the cause.
I am now worried about my remaining hen. I know she needs company. How soon do I need to get a new hen or two?

I am so sorry for your loss. :hugs What state do you live in? It's possible that your state offers free or low-cost necropsies. Another thing you could do is your own necropsy, but this is emotionally difficult for many people.

She passed before they could examine her. 😢 RIP Wilma. ❤
They only offered xrays and fecal test to determine the cause.
I am now worried about my remaining hen. I know she needs company. How soon do I need to get a new hen or two?
Will they do a necropsy? That would give you the exact answer and let you know whether you need to treat the rest of your flock

If they did the necropsy it would be very expensive.
They don’t do a necropsy there, said it would be $500 to send her to Texas A&M to get it done.
I am going to clean the coop and watch my other hen carefully. Wilma was sick about a month ago and always had trouble laying. My remaining hen, Betty, is a superb layer and has never been ill or acted off.
I have been reading and it seems like the recommendation is to get 1-2 pullets to keep her company.

Back
Top Bottom