PLEASE HELP!!! Soft shelled egg?!

PetDuck

Songster
7 Years
Jun 11, 2012
Cleveland, MS
My 1 year 3 month old black Swedish duck Quackers has been laying eggs for exactly 10 months (as of today) straight with no breaks. She has molted since but still hasn't stopped.

Last night she did not lay an egg in her nest or any where else in her cage as she always has. I thought that maybe she was finally going to stop but tonight when I went to put her away I found two eggs in different parts of the yard. I know that they have not been there because not but several hours before I found them had I looked all over the yard for eggs. One of the eggs shells was a normal thickness. But the other egg was very soft and squishy along with it being slightly larger than the other egg. She didn't run from me when I went to put her in her cage.

So overall: She has been laying for 10 months straight; one every night, she didn't lay an egg last night, she laid two today, one was soft shelled, she didn't run from me when I went to put her away for the night.
I put oyster shells in her food tonight to see if that would help.

Please guys I know I haven't been on much lately but I really am worried about my baby girl!!

Sooo...is she normally shy? If she starts doing more odd things like not eating or sitting down all fluffed up and stressed more than usual then I might be a little more concerned but soft eggs are actually normal...so did it have a membrane at all encasing it? Or was it broken open? One of my chickens laid a softie the other day, because I was gone and hadn't refilled the oyster shell dish for a while. How old is your duckie? My Runners are faithful layers but they are going through their first molt now so they stopped.

I wasn't open at all. She is usually very sociable and loves to be pet and cuddled. (she's my little baby duck
smile.png
) She has been laying around a lot today and not out foraging like she usually is and that is why I am mostly concerned.

Also is it normal for her to be laying eggs for 10 months straight without a break?

Last edited:
Based on my runners, ten months straight doesn't sound so unusual. And sometimes a soft egg, especially when they are starting or finishing their laying season, is not a big surprise.

PetDuck, I am so impressed with how much you care for Quackers.
big_smile.png

Do you give her oyster shell or any kind of calcium supplement? You may want to start doing that if not. Just to be on the safe side.

But watch her for a few days, please give us updates. Her system may just be going through an adjustment. Has she had a change in diet in the last few weeks?

I get the softies occasionally from my 4 crested girls they are 11 mons and snot their nose up at oyster shell and alot of other things lol but my 4 12 mons old black sweds and buffs munch on their os and have normal egg each day but they do take a day break sometimes. In adjoining run i have 8 mons old runners and 2 blue sweds. My 7 runners absolutely LOVE their os maybe a bit to much with them I get an egg everyday not stopped since they started. My point I feel the os is beneficial when you compare my gals. Hope with Quackers its just a season change issue and she returns to her norm soon.

Based on my runners, ten months straight doesn't sound so unusual. And sometimes a soft egg, especially when they are starting or finishing their laying season, is not a big surprise.

PetDuck, I am so impressed with how much you care for Quackers.
big_smile.png

Do you give her oyster shell or any kind of calcium supplement? You may want to start doing that if not. Just to be on the safe side.

But watch her for a few days, please give us updates. Her system may just be going through an adjustment. Has she had a change in diet in the last few weeks?
I haven't been giving her the oyster shells that I bought for her several months ago. But I started last night. Her food has always been the Dumor Poultry Layer Crumbles since she was old enough to eat them.
This morning, still no eggs in her nest... She seemed just fined when I got her out this morning. She let me pet her then she went for a swim. She has this new little habit she has formed about a week ago, that in the morning when I go to give her food from the storage building, she follows me in which she used to hate to do. She is perfectly happy to explore the small room as I "prepare her meal"
tongue.png

My ducks have been laying for a year now and no one has taken a break. I get soft shelled eggs from one of the runners, I think she may just be defective because she lays them routinely. My ducks have both kinds of oyster shell 24/7, they forage all day, have free choice flockraiser. Everyone is happy and healthy.

Thank you guys! She is laying normally now. Lets hope it continues!
And to WildPeas, sounds weird... Hope all of your duck ducks live long!

And to everyone, Cheers to all of our worrying ducks that make us sick but we love with all our hearts!!!

Back
Top Bottom